· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Hardwood floor refinishing contaminated my aquarium! HELP!! PLEASE!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm new to the forum and wasn't sure where to post this. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot

I'm a bit frantic at the moment. I JUST got home from being on vacation for a week. While gone our hardwood floors were refinished. The guy who did it promised me that my tank would be fine since it's in my room and behind closed doors. Well it isn't. The water is SUPER cloudy and there are suds/bubbles covering the top and my fish are not looking so good.

What do I do to fix this? Will a big water change do the trick or am I looking at a complete do-over? Obviously I would rather not do the complete do-over. I don't want to put my poor little fishies through a cycle. But if that is the only way to save them then I guess that's the route we'll take.

It's a 56 gallon aquarium with a Marineland Penguin 350 and an airstone. The tank is about 6 months old. There are 7 Cherry Barbs, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 2 Bolivian Rams, and 2 Nerite Snails.

ANY suggestions, tips, pointers, and/or help is amazing.

Thank you so much!
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    How long ago did this happen? it's likely your tank will have to recycle no matter what you do because the chemicals will have killed your bacteria. I'd be taking the fish out, doing a complete water change as fast as possible and putting them back in and then continuing to do 50% water changes every 24 hours after that. Don't feed during this time. Luckily your tank is lightly stocked.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    major water changes quickly

0 Not allowed!
    Do a few very vrey large water changes and watch your parameters closely over the next few days
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The floors were done on Wednesday while I was gone. So they've been sitting in this for about 5 days.

Should I check my parameters now to see if it's completely destroyed it so that I can figure out if I should do a complete water change as opposed to a really big one? Will that even determine it?

I ask cause 2 people say big water change and 1 says complete water change. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm still somewhat new to fish keeping.

I'm kinda regretting going on vacation when this happened but unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice. Parents, you know. :(
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    big water changes, doesn't matter if its 100% or 75%, just start changing the water.

I'd say two large 75% changes, add a dechlornator between the two and after you are done, and then monitor water conditions, if you have ammonia or nitrites you probably lost the cycle. If so you should check the levels each day and keep the values low, i think it is below .25ppm for ammonia but I'm not sure about trite level that is "safe"
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    When we redid our floors, there was dust everywhere. We thought we were good by taping off the door to the room, and the AC vents (often forgotten) but even then there were small gaps in the ac vents and we had a fine layer of dust on EVERYTHING in the house for the next 6 months.

Adding activated charcoal will help remove any chemicals that may have gotten in the water. I would see if you can get some sort of fine mechanical filtration setup for the dust. Either felt or a DE filter, something along those lines.

This is on top of changing the water. Don't count out your filter bacteria yet.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Doing water changes now! Thanks everyone for all of the help! I really appreciate it.

As for the activated charcoal I'll go get some of that.

Thanks again!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Best of luck with your tank..let's us know how things turn out.
    Ghpr13:)
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Fingers crossed that all turns out okay.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"