· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Search ebay for escargot shells. They will be cheaper than those from any LFS.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in New Zealand though lol.

0 Not allowed!
    So does NZ not have eBay?

0 Not allowed!
    They do but the amount of stuff available without exorbitant shipping is limited. Escargot shells are sometimes available in fancy cooking shops. In some countries you can also buy escargots with the shell on and garlic butter on top in the frozen food section.

I've no idea whatsoever of the native flora and fauna on the islands but I'd be tempted to take a long walk on the beach and see what I could find.

0 Not allowed!

Not sure how expensive this is for a bag of mixed shells (see the catalogue). http://www.shells.co.nz/catalogue

0 Not allowed!
    Id be a bit unsure about the size but there's some potentially interesting ones towards the end of the catalogue.

stores.ebay.com.au/Fish-and-Fits has shells and charges 4 pounds for delivery to Australia, can't imagine NZ being much more. Drawback would be the 3 weeks wait of course.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my gosh those fish are so cute even if they are aggressive!! Im looking forward to seeing your tanks progress
    I totally know what you mean about buying used! I got a tank off Craigslist, it was supposed to be a 50 gallon but it is really a 40 gallon tall. Not to mention it was so dirty! she was keeping turtles in it, it took me a full day and tons of vinegar to clean it up.

0 Not allowed!
    Yup Dutchie is spot on, we technically HAVE ebay but nobody really uses it because everything takes flippin ages to arrive or costs just about more in postage than the item itself. I've had a look on our local version of Craig's List and nothing. However the lady who I'm buying the occies off said I can have her shells. I do want more than she has though.

As for native fauna, walking down the beach you usually see a heck of a lot of pippi shells and not a lot else. Mind you we also have an endemic giant carnivorous land snail in NZ. But I think I'd be in a bit of trouble with the Department of Conservation if I went poaching them for my fish tank! Lovely shells though, and huge.

About that website, I think people have got shells for shellies off there before but it was eeexpensive.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say use the ebay store I linked, seems to be your best bet unless your supermarket can help you out. Seems there was a guy who set up an escargot farm somewhere on north island a few years ago but he stopped that.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Talldutchie, that's actually a pretty good deal. Only downsize would be the wait. However I MAY have found someone locally who can supply me with some shells.

A fish-related question for you experts... Since I am being sold 2 males and 2 females, obviously I will only be keeping one male and the other I will be giving to a friend. One of the males is much more dominant than the other. My first thought was to keep the "main" male and rehome the other one, but I started thinking and maybe the less dominant one would actually be better off and less likely to cause aggression issues. Thoughts?