· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Well, just when I think I settled on a South American tank...

I FOUND SHELLIES!!

My LFS said they could maybe get them in for maybe $22 each, and then I was surfing TradeMe last night and this popped up! Babies for $10 each + $40 shipping. Unfortunately he doesn't want to ship for less than 10 but I'm hopeful he'll be happy to do 6 or 8 for me.

Anyone have experience with Tangs -- how many should I start out with? Going to have to try and source some shells.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=613034702

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A shell tank is pretty easy to set up, they like sand a lot of shells and some rock work in the back to make it look natural.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    I hope what you set up works. I've already given my opinion on Ocellatus on your other thread. I have kept them with varying success. I don't think it will work in your tank due to their horrendous aggression but I do wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by Knightia; 07-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!

Aggressive little blighters...and you won't be spared!

0 Not allowed!
    If you must, 1 male, 2 females. Get a good supply of escargot shells or something else big. Scatter some rocks, make sure your water's hard and with a stable ph of 8. You could try some anubias in there.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post

Aggressive little blighters...and you won't be spared!
    OMG!!! Aggressive little buggers! The more he pushed at them, the more aggressive they got!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    That's why, if one decides to turn on another, it will easily kill it. They are relentless! Interesting if you have a large enough tank though I'm sure.

0 Not allowed!
    Well I never noticed these replies! Gosh I'm slack with my journals.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Have decided to take the plunge and buy the breeders breeding group for $140 including shipping. She has been keeping them in a tank with a footprint only slightly larger than mine -- AND her "breeding group" consists of TWO males and two females. I was very surprised. I plan on only keeping one male and the two girls. I am pretty confident that if she can pull off 2 males in a tank only slightly larger than mine, I can pull off a trio in my 15g. But if not, I will always have an emergency tank on hand.

This tank is going to be a big learning curve for me. It will be my first ever experience with Rift Lake cichlids, also my first species-only tank. I have also never had fish shipped before so I am pretty nervous about that -- nervous in general about the whole ordeal really!!

Video is so funny Firefly! They are just so cute.

0 Not allowed!
    Well I found out why they had the heater set to 32C. Any lower than that and it barely heats the tank to 20C. Looks like a new heater will be in order. Good thing I tested it. Thinking about replacing the filter too. It's noisy and not very efficient.

Got some nice holey rock yesterday which I'm going to pile up in the middle to split the tank up. Also think I'm going to plant some sagittaria in there. It's not doing well being choked to death by other plants in my 65g.

Managed to find some shells. I wanna get as many as possible. I'm going to have to get them shipped down from auckland.

0 Not allowed!
    Finally, the beginnings of my tank! Still need to grab more holey rock to pile up in the centre to form the little "peninsula" that divides the tank up. And of course, I need to get some shells! I planted some sagittaria that wasn't doing very well in my other tank but I need to buy a few more. Also replaced the heater, although it's cleverly hidden under the rim of the lid. I also need to pinch some more silica sand from my other tank -- I know shellies like it deep so they can dig around in it.

Last edited by Amelia; 07-30-2013 at 10:44 AM.