· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How long can i have a filter tunred off? need fast answer right now

0 Not allowed!
    Hey my fluval 406 have had some weird sounds the past 2 days but just about once a day or so now it's going crazy and i belive it's the rotor that has failed so i need to turn the filter of before it destroys the whole thing.

The tank has only had fish in it for about 3 days and had water for 5 days.

there are 12 mbunas in the tank right now and 2 ancistrus.

3+3 afra jalo reef 3+3 salosi

I don't have any other filter then the one sitting in my 30 gallon thats in use, no airstone.

I don't want to hear anything about the tank not being cycled since it is went with an instant cycle by taking water and filter media from my other tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is no such thing as an instant cycle, only a much accelerated cycle. But that has nothing to do with your current problem. You need to get some kind of water movement, or your fish will suffocate. When my last filter grenade'ed on my mbuna tank I was able to keep them alive for 4 days by hanging the biomedia bags inside the tank on the glass and running a large airstone underneath. Without at least an airstone for some surface water agitation id say they have hours, a day at the most. With just water movement youd probably have a day or two before the ammonia got really dangerous. The problem is it's a brand new tank, the filter media may have been cycled but the tank itself was not. You need to get the media into the tank itself with some kind of water movement going over it.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above - that was the advice I got when the last hurricane plowed through my area - I made sure to siphon up some water a few times a day and pour it back into the tank to provide agitation & add oxygen (that was with no airstone because we had no electric for 24hrs) - plus take my media out of my cannister filter and just let it sit at the bottom of the tank to expose it to the fish's ammonia.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would do as suggested above and get an airstone or even two in the tank to get the water moving and help with oxygenation. Do large water changes - maybe 2 of 50% - daily until you can get your filter fixed. Feed very lightly.

Another option is to, again, add the airstones but move the filter media back to your other tank so you can be certain your beneficial bacteria won't die off. As long as there's been water flowing over the media is should still be alive. When you get your filter fixed or replaced (hopefully within a day or two) you can move the media back into your new tank and again, HOPEFULLY it will have retained the BB that was established. I'd be vigilant in checking for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates with an API liquid water test kit though for a few weeks, just to make sure the BB didn't die in the filter media that you moved over. If you see any trace of ammonia or nitrites, then it's a good bet you lost your cycle and you'll be starting from scratch.

BTW: You are correct that you can move fully seeded filter media to a new tank and have an instant cycle. Moving the water, however, does nothing. Your beneficial bacteria lives only in the filter, filter media, substrate and on hardscape, never in the water.

Good luck. That's a tough break.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-07-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't get an airstone it's 1am here i guess ill just have to shut of the filter for an hour or so and turn in back on for a few minutes and then shut it off again and hope the whole filter won't break completly.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazumi View Post
    I can't get an airstone it's 1am here i guess ill just have to shut of the filter for an hour or so and turn in back on for a few minutes and then shut it off again and hope the whole filter won't break completly.
    As long as your up, shutting it on and off, you could, instead, just dip water out and pour it back in every hour or so. Just something to keep the water moving and oxygen in the water.

Great hobby when everything goes right - very frustrating when something like this happens, however.

Probably a stupid question but have you taken the filter a part (hoses and all) to see if there's an airlock or something causing the problem? or if perhaps the impeller simply needs a bit of vaseline on it?

Again, good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    You got some good advice so far

As already suggested above, take the filter apart and re-prime it. My 406 would may all kinds of awful noise when there was some trapped air inside

As the others have already suggested, taking your filter media out and placing it in the tank is your best option right now. Keep some flow in the tank and you should be fine. That had worked for me once when I had accidentally broke my filter and had to order a replacement part which took 4 days to arrive.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have taken it apart but left the hose untuched since ill have a flood removing them, the tank is drilled in the bottom for a canister filter. I have cleaned the propeller a few times and checked if it was broken but it wasn't but it has to be it thats causing this.
    Yeah mine did this when there were air trapped but it would fix itself but this time it hasn't i have shook the canister and then it shuts up for a few minutes then it starts again. in the morning im going to empty the tank and hook in the Fluval 205 that came with the tank set. I don't have any storage in my apartment so my dad holds it while i fix the 406 hose to fit my 30 gallon.