Results 1 to 5 of 5
07-07-2013, 06:11 PM #1
Miracle surviving oto - TWO HOURS out of water!
I recently upgraded my tank and in the process of doing so, I had to move the old one to another room. To do this, I drained the tank and caught the fish (to be held in a bucket for a couple of hours) with nets. All went well until I found I'd done something terrible.
When I was returning the fish to the tank I was absolutely mortified to find that an oto was still in one of the nets I'd left on the side. I can't believe I missed it. I thought it was dried up and dead for sure having been out of water for TWO HOURS...but when I plopped it back in the bucket it began to wriggle and very quickly appeared to make a full recovery. I was amazed. AMAZED!
I still thought afterwards that such trauma would have killed it off - given how sensitive otos can be. But a week later - it's still ok. It's lost the end of its tail fin (presumably due to damage from drying out) but other than that it's back to flitting around with the other eight in the tank.
Has anyone else ever come across a fish surviving that long out of water?
Here's a terrible photo of it in its holding tank (where all my fish are until the new upgrade tank is safe for transfer).
07-07-2013, 07:23 PM #2
WOW, that IS a miracle!...surely he's stressed at least a bit, I know you'll keep a close eye on him...and I bet you keep an even closer eye an that dip net when moving fish next time :)
07-07-2013, 07:32 PM #3
07-07-2013, 10:01 PM #4
Fish are amazing at times. Your wet net kept that Otto going. Keep an eye for infection firefly. Glad all is working out after that ordeal.Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..
Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.
07-07-2013, 10:19 PM #5
Oh my gosh. So glad the little guy made it.
I had a nerites snail somehow get out of my 30, crawl up on the hood over the hump that houses the light then slide down to the hinged part of the hood that I lift to feed the fish.
I didn't realize it when I fed them because it was the same color as the hood and I only lift the lid part way to feed. Later that morning when I did a water change and couldn't figure out why my lid wouldn't lift all the way. I even pushed against it - hard and it still wouldn't open. Checked - and there was the snail. It must have been out all night. I can't believe I didn't crush the shell.
Put it back in the tank and five minutes later it was moving around again.
these fish and inverts are so delicate at times and yet so resilient. Amazing creatures.