· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 50gal. stocking question.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I have a 50 gallon breeder (36x18x18) that I plan on starting sometime within the month. I realize fishless cycling will take about a month or so to complete, so I'm currently researching fish that I find interesting. So far, these are the fish that have caught my eye:

Harlequin Rasbora (rasbora heteromorpha)- Nice coloration and shoal tightly.

Senegal Bichir (polypterus senegalus)- My favorite fish I've seen so far. Like the ancient look of them.

Congo Tetra (phenacogrammus interruptus)- Nice coloration and from what I've read, good tankmates with the Senegal.

Marbled Hatchetfish (carnegiella strigata)- Once again, I like the coloration. The unusual bodyshape is cool too.

Bolivian Ram (mikrogeophagus altispinosus)- Absolutely stunning coloration.

Rummynose Tetra (hemigrammus rhodostomus)- Great coloration and good shoaling fish.

Cory Catfish- Many species appeal to me.

Rainbowfish- Like the coloration.

I realize most of these species need about 5 individuals to feel comfortable, thus, I can't fit all of these species in the aquarium. Can any of these species co-exist? Any input, additional stocking ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

0 Not allowed!
    BTW, don't assume the fishless cycle will take a month - could take shorter or longer - it depends upon each tank.

While I'm not the best with compability, your tank isn't much larger than mine - I would go with a group of corys and 2 groups of other fish. From what I've read, hatchets are good jumpers so you'll need to make sure you have a tight fitting lid.

The other issue is schooling fish don't always school "tightly" - if the fish are happy in your tank & don't feel threatened, they will venture outside their school so don't pick a fish for that reason.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    There's little that can coexist with the bichir

If you got soft water you could combine harlequins, hatcehts ( get floating plants and a lid!) rams and on a sand bottom cories.

If you got hard water congos and rainbowfish are your best bet.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Any of the Cory species will require a minimum of six in a school. The individual species do not school together, so don't get one or two of this or three of that - get a minimum of six of one species.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the replies!!! I plan on having sand on the bottom and planting live plants. Unfortunate that the Bichir causes so many problems, are their any fish that can coexist with it? I know they share the same habitat with some African Chiclids, but Chiclids don't interest me too much. (Except the Rams)

0 Not allowed!
    I would highly recommend going with a pair or two of the rams, a school of 6-10 cories, and then maybe do a school of the rummey nose and a school of hatchets.

The breeder tanks are great for cories and rams b/c it gives them plenty of space

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    Thank you for the replies!!! I plan on having sand on the bottom and planting live plants. Unfortunate that the Bichir causes so many problems, are their any fish that can coexist with it? I know they share the same habitat with some African Chiclids, but Chiclids don't interest me too much. (Except the Rams)
    Well, the tank was too small in the first place.

You got a predator that's going to get to 20 inches when fully grown and is known for eating anything it can fit. Leopard Bushfish will probably work. Congo tetra for some time. An appropriate sized synodontis maybe for the bottom. In any case, for these to do well you'd be looking at a 90 gallon at least and preferably a 125. Planted with wood and hiding places.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    I would highly recommend going with a pair or two of the rams, a school of 6-10 cories, and then maybe do a school of the rummey nose and a school of hatchets.

The breeder tanks are great for cories and rams b/c it gives them plenty of space
    That should work unless you got rock hard water. Set it up with sand, few driftwood branches and some planted areas to allow for territories.