· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My platy hides all day

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new tank setup with the following

8- neon tetra's
    4- albino Cory's
    3- red platys
    1- small angel fish

One of the red platys hides in a cave all day and very rarely comes out. This has been happening since I bought the small angel fish. Did I make a bad choice with the angel fish? Or is this normal platy behavior ?

0 Not allowed!
    Questions:

How big is your tank?
    How new is your tank and did you add all the fish at one time? If you didn't, what order did you put the fish in?

Generally speaking, new fish will all be different in how long it takes for them to become comfortable in their new surroundings - some fish will hide, others will start swimming around right away and explore things.

It's possible that a more aggressive fish, such as an angel (a cichlid which can be semi-aggressive), will take a dislike to other fish in the tank right away and that fish (or several of them) will stay away out of fear.

Third question, are you familiar with cycling? I'm assuming you did not cycle the tank 1st before adding all those fish but I could be wrong.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon, I completed cycling of the tank a few weeks ago and added fish in the following order: each addition was a wait of at least 4-5 days

1. 3 neon tetras
    2. 5 neon tetras
    3. 3 red platys, 2 died within 24 -48 hours. checked the water, all normal - 0-0-0
    4. a week later added 4 albino catfish
    5. added 1 small blue marble angelfish, that may have been when the platy started hiding
    6. I added 2 more red platys, thinking that would get him out of hiding

I am planning on a small 20 gal long cichlid tank with maybe two dwarf cichlids. Woul dthe angel fish be a better fit in that tank?

thanks,

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    20 gallon is too small for an angel. a 29 or 30 would be the absolute minimum size for a single angle.
    About the platies - what Imma said could very well be true. Question: do you know if you have all males or all females? best ratio is 2 females to 1 male so that the male doesn't pester one female to death. if you have 2 males and 1 female, that may be why she's hiding.

Just to make certain about cycling - how did you cycle your tank? I'm asking because it's unusual for a cycled tank to not have any nitrates. What type of a test kit are you using? stripes or the API master liquid test kit?
    you have a very small bio load for that size of a tank, however, so it's all together possible you have 0 or low nitrates.
    additional note: cory cats like schools. I'd increase your numbers to at least 6 and you could easily do 8 - 10 in your 55 gallon.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-07-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2life View Post
    One of the red platys hides in a cave all day and very rarely comes out. This has been happening since I bought the small angel fish. Did I make a bad choice with the angel fish? Or is this normal platy behavior ?
    Your own observations answer your question. You introduce a big predator to the tank. The neons deal with that by tightening their school, the cories knows they'll kill it if it decides to attack them. One of the platies is brighter than the rest and hides.

Don't be too surprised if you see ich in the next few weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you, I'd rehome that angel - they are not known for being good "community" fish and will try and eat any fish that will fit into its mouth - that's why I don't own one (though I'd love to) - I own neons as well.

I've read stories of cichlids that "took" over a tank and all the other fish cowered in a corner - I don't know if yours is doing that but if you are interested in having an unstressed tank, the angel doesn't seem to belong there - once fish start losing color & hiding, you are looking at potential illness as talldutchie suggested.

Agree with Amelia that it's not the best idea to stick that angel in a 20 just to move it - I'd see about returning it to the store or find someone who can take it off your hands.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The LFS took back the Angel fish and gave me a store credit, so I solved the immediate problem. The platy is still hiding, maybe she doesn't know the Angel is gone :)