· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My big fuzzy baby.

0 Not allowed!
    Good day,

Today i will tell you a little story about my little baby that i "rescued" a while back.
    One day my father came to me and told me that he had visited someone with a big bird-eater spider in his kitchen and that he needed to get rid of it because he was moving to another house and didn't want to have the spider anymore.
    I was pretty excited when my father told me that i could go pick it up at his house and keep it in my room, so i went to but some crickets at my local pet store and went to get the spider.
    When i finally reached the kitchen i noticed a grease covered, unheated small tank on the floor that was absolutely filled with webs and he told me that it was the spider.
    I felt kind of bad to see the poor girl is such harsh conditions so i hopped back home and set up my back-up tank i still had from my snakes, when i started digging through the webs i noticed some first movements and there she was bigger than i expected; a nearly full-grown Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian salmon pink bird-eater).

Now i couldn't help but noticing that she was on the skinny side so i decided to put her in the tank i set up and feed her some crickets, she went berserk over them.
    The next day i decided that crickets were a bit small for this giant so i decided to start feeding her Blaptica dubia (Orange spotted cockroach) which she liked even more and soon she started to build up a respectable abdomen.

Now just recently i had a little problem, she wouldn't eat no matter what i gave her, but she had quite a "fat" reserve so i didn't worry too much until a few days ago when it all became clear why she wouldn't eat, how could i not see it coming!

As of today she is very happy, she is HUGE (Leg span of around 20cm) as the L. parahybana (Brazilian salmon pink bird-eater) is around the 3rd biggest species of spiders on the planet and she is very easy to handle.
    She has never shown any signs of aggression, so i'm very happy with her.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    congrats on your spider. I know nothing about them. Including what happened that made her not eat. Can you explain what the transition was and how it affects her? Very interesting.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As someone who also knows absolutely nothing about spiders im a little confused as well. That kinda looks like a dead spider in the last picture.... Or is that what a shed looks like?
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool spider. I have always wanted a bird eater. As a child we had a Brachypelma smithi (Mexican red knee) and my daughter currently has a Avicularia avicularia (Pink toe). It's always neat to find the molt, and a relief since often things can go wrong. Now that it has molted I am sure she will be hungry again. Good luck with her and congratulations on your new pet.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm guessing the last photo is a molting?

Your story kind of lacked the obvious part there. I'm sure its obvious to you, and probably to spider people, but not so much to the rest of us non-spider keeping people.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    I'm guessing the last photo is a molting?

Your story kind of lacked the obvious part there. I'm sure its obvious to you, and probably to spider people, but not so much to the rest of us non-spider keeping people.
    thanks. I thought maybe I was the only spider dolt here :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice T. And yes thats a molt.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - what a difference between the first and the second picture! Well done - you're obviously caring for her really well. More pics?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Spider molts look so freaky

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    It's great that you're taking such good care of her, and what a difference in her size! I also had no idea why she wasn't eating until I read down the thread and saw about molting...NOT a spider person here. Have to say, I'm glad she's yours...and contained.
    Don't poke the crazy