· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Beta Fish Acts Weirdly Ever So Often

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone,

Recently, about 4 days ago, I brought home a Blue beta fish from Kahoots petstore. It looked so sad in it's fish bowl, full of it's own poop. I have it now in a 1.5 gallon tank, I will transfer it over to a 3 gallon with a heater soon. I keep it under pretty good conditions, test the water parameters ever so often, 1-2 times a day. It seems healthy, but I've noticed it recently spinning and twirling, it doesn't do it often. It does it sometimes, especially when i put my hand near the tank to either fix something or turn on the light. It's like when it gets frightened or scared it twirls and spins. Other times, it just swims around, near the top if the tank. I can't figure out what's wrong with the fish, I don't want it to have some transmittable fish to human disease, and i want to see if it has any diseases or parasites causing it pain and misery. It eats pretty well, I feed it every other day, and it swims around, usually likes staying behind the filter, it sleeps there too. I want to know if this is normal behavior, I was trying to take a video if the behavior, by doing what I do usually to make it do it but it is not doing it anymore, and I see it doing it less and less. He also seems to be a little bit better, his color is getting more vibrant than what it was like at the pet store.

Water parameters, taken about 10-20 minutes ago from this post is at ammonia: 0, nitrite:0, nitrate: 0 (undetectable). Did a 15% water change today, the temperature on the tank is usually 76-80 degrees.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean twirling like rolling, chasing his tail, or swimming in loop-de-loops? Loops could just be a loco fish, rolling could indicate swim bladder disease, and chasing tail could be a couple of things.
    Are there any plants in the tank? I personally recommend getting a hunk of java moss, teasing it out until it's in a very loose clump, and just putting it in there. In my experience, bettas love that.
    That's pretty much perfect betta temperature. How hard is the water? They're pretty tolerant of different hardness, it's just a good thing to know.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they're not actually supposed to go upside down "belly up" if its doing that there might be a problem. Regular circles can be boredom fun or anxiety. Anxiety usually looks neurotic and lasts as long as the anxiety lasts. It may have been taking a few days to get used to water conditions. They get discomfort and itch and things if the water conditions are off. Sometimes they will do water flips if they have a scale problem going on itch or discomfort. You are supposed to have the tank set up and running a month before putting fish in it. If not just keep a close eye on the water parameters and make sure you do a partial water change regular until the cycle is good (good bacteria balance). There are a lot of things your fish could have if its sick. I found a list online that freaked me out. I suddenly thought my fish had everything in the book. Hypochondriac style lol.

here's AC's list link

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/common.php

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think rolling, he looks like a torpedo going through the water, like spinning and swimming. I don't have a good example since he doesn't seem to be doing it anymore, I don't want to stress him out anymore, since I was trying to get him to do it earlier for this post. As for plants, he has one fake silk plant, when I move him into the 3 gallon, he will be with real plants. Thanks for recommending the java moss, I was wondering what other plants I can use in the new tank. I found a video of what he was doing before for the first 2-3 days I had him. Unlike the fish in the video below, he doesn't do it often, he only did it when he saw my hand near the tank. Also, he would only do it for 10-15 seconds. Again, I haven't seen him do it for about 24-36 hours now. I don't think it's swim bladder disease, He swims up and down pretty well, he doesn't swim on his side, only when he did that torpedo-swimming move, and then he readjusted himself to be straight, and swam on his way. Maybe it's just a loco fish, again...I've been monitoring him all day today hasn't done it once.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    HAA HAA thats funny. Sorry, I don't know maybe your fish is just full of personality. I have heard they do that when something is wrong with a fin, like a plain going down, as I have heard it described. but if yours does it voluntarily I dont know haa haa. I hope he's ok or getting better.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad he's not twirling any more. If it starts up again, he may have a problem.
    In the meantime, you should try to keep his temp a constant 80F and not fluctuate even the 4 degrees.
    Also, I feed my betta twice daily, not every other day. Try a good quality betta pellet and give him anywhere from 4 - 6 pellets (depending on his size) 2X a day.
    the sooner you get him into the larger tank, the better.
    I'd also shoot for a larger tank. 5 gallon would be the minimum with filtration.
    hope all works out for him.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Torpedo-spinning? Hmm. I'm not sure what that could be, but if he doesn't act stressed, it's probably not something to worry about.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the responses, as of right now, he's not spinning, or twirling, or anything, seems happy, swims around a lot. I think he was maybe getting used to the new tank? Also, I'm waiting for the bigger tank to cycle before I switch him over. I also live in California, so the temperature, unless the A/C is on full blast, is now on a constant 80 degrees.