· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I need help installing my heater

0 Not allowed!
    This is my first aquarium (20 gal TopFin). I have had an outdoor pond for over 10 years (comets, etc.) so I understand some of the basics about caring for fish. I put together the tank and installed everything according to the directions but the heater is causing me issues. The instructions that came with it are pathetic. I do not know how far into the water I am supposed to install it. Is the entire thing (including the dial at the top) supposed to be submerged? I assumed it went in the water up to the black plastic section but some videos I see show heaters completely submerged. Also, I read that it is best to have the heater near the filter/pump but the openings in the lid are for opposite sides.....is that okay?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Some heaters are submersible and some are not, if yours does not specifically say it is submersible it is probably wise to only put it in up to the plastic section. It is ok to put it on the other side of the tank, as long as you have good flow the water will circulate and the heater will keep it at the right temperature.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming there's no fish in there just use the suction cups to mount it to the tank wall. I prefer the heater to have the knob close to the surface so I can adjust it easily.
    Pretty much any decent heater these days can be submerged fully. You'll want to place it in an area with good water flow to heat the tank evenly. There's proably a minimum water line on it somewhere. It's important to know wthere that is. If your water drops below that line while it's active you could ruin it.

Oh, and be sure to check with your thermometer if the dial is reasonably accurate, always good to know.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Location is completely up to preference and it probably won't matter much in a 20 gallon. I put mine on the opposite side of my thermometer so I know that my whole tank is being heated...

Certainly there are a lot of different heaters out there with probably many different directions. Some heaters have a line marking where the water should be and some say that they can be placed anywhere under water. All that really matters is that they actual heating element is in the water though. Most heaters will be fine with the dial/top sticking out