· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What do about possible dropsy?

0 Not allowed!
    Hears the story... I've had these bloodfin tetra for about 6 months now and over the last couple of months they've slowly started to die. I was at a lose about what it was but with the most recent tetra I saw today it looks like dropsy or something similar. It is starting to looking a little greyer then the other fish and I can see the small scales start to rise. What can I do about this and are the rest of the school doomed the same fate?
    The tank is a 29 gallon with 1 GBR 1 BNP 11 glow light tetra and 9 bloodfin. It's moderately planted and I'm running 2 AC30's. The parameters are 0,0 and less then 10 and I do at least a 50 percent water change every week sometimes one in the middle of the week if I feel like it. Thanks for any help I'm concerned about the school as it seems to take one every few weeks but I haven't seen it on any of the other fish.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Back when I had goldfish one of them got dropsy pretty bad. Dropsy itself is a symptom of a internal bacterial infection. The body swells up and that's what causes the scales to raise. Generally once it gets to that point there's no going back.

I put the goldie in a quarantine tank and put epsom salt in it. 1 teaspoon per gallon (goldfish was big so for smaller fish it might take less). After about 32 hours the scales laid back down and the fish seemed to be just fine. I did a water change and gave it a salt bath with aquarium salt. I did another water change after 24 hours and left it in the quarantine tank for a few more days doing water changes daily.

It went really well for me considering most of the time there isn't a whole lot that can be done. I think it's because I caught it quickly. My sister had a betta that got dropsy and she didn't catch it in time. Her betta didn't make it.

Hope that helps. I talked to a very knowledgeable guy at my LFS and he's the one that suggested the epsom salt.

I hope you're able to get it worked out.
    Last edited by Malyssaasaurus; 07-10-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Accidentally put tablespoon instead of teaspoon.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the answer. The fish I was worried about seems fine after a few days but it might explain a few deaths I've had before in the blood fin school. Do you think some kind of anti bacterial med would be good to use just in case the infection is dormant in the other fish?
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm honestly not sure about that. But if you think of it as if they were humans, you wouldn't give a person an antibiotic unless you know for sure they need it. Otherwise it can mess things up and possibly make them susceptible. Does that make sense?

If it were me I would just watch them like a hawk and the first sign I see jump on it immediately.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep I'm going to go that route thanks Malyssaasaurus!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No problem :D