· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    If you know sunlight is the cause of the algae, then you need to address that. You might want to try putting some kind of shade on the tank or window - tape a piece of cardboard to the tank if nothing else - while you are away at school. Just take it off when you are at home or in the room. Put the lights over the tank on a timer. You only need 8 hrs of light on per day in a tank (give or take) so put a timer on the lights so they only come on for 8 hrs when someone is home, and adjust as required. Close the curtain on the window during the day...

If you remove the excess light, and do water changes as per Taurus' advice above, you should see a reduction in your algae - over a period of time. It won't disappear over a weekend. Scrape your glass just before you vacuum, so you suck out most of what you are scraping free.

Chemicals are really the last resort, after you've tried everything else. You start depending on chemicals to maintain your tank, and you will always have to use them. The algae will come back even after a chemical treatment if conditions of the tank don't change.

good luck! I fought BBA myself for months so I know how frustrating it can be.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok,
    TD isn't Seachem Flourish Excel for plants to grow? or if im wrong why should i add them?
    i have added more oto before but they all die shortly after being added. they were drip acclimated.
    water was good too.
    my plan was to remove the algae with chemicals just to remove the algae once because right now i blocked the sun light but,
    the algae is not going anywhere. i can't get this algae out, hence the need for chemicals
    my lights are on for 7-9 hours a day. no timer but i am very on time turning them off and on.
    i have no more room for plants. the razor is what i am left with, i tried it just now. way too much work... lol
    if TD explains why Seachem Flourish Excel helps algae, am i left with that or chemicals
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would avoid the chemicals it might work but you'll just be dealing with the same issues if you don't fix the root of the problem. I would do a tank black out where you do a very large water change then cover the tank to create a black out. After that do a large water change and remove all the dead algae. Remember, this stuff takes time but once your successful with ridding the tank it will make it easier to combat/prevent algae in the future.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what do you mean black out?
    if you mean cover the tank completly, i want to be able to check on my fish. if one dies and i leave it for a couple of weeks, who knows what will happen.
    i have closed the blinds for over half year. yes a little light shines through, but not much.
    this has done nothing.
    do you think that little light has an affect?
    i don't want to use chemicals, but i might have too
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    Liquid Co2 products stimulate plant growth and I thought yours was planted. There's also something in there that blocks algae growth.

Key to keeping algae away is to have your plants out compete them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is planted so I will try it.
    how long do you think I can should try this before resorting to other options

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my plan is to try seachem flourish excel, and if nothing happens i will have to try chemicals.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ran into a bit of a problem.
    i only have the money for one product. and my parents will allow me to buy only one.
    since my tank is lightly planted and my nitrates rarely go over the 5-10 range, i don't think seachem flourish excel is going to work. and another point in the algae chemical side is it is cheaper. one point in seachem flourish excel's side is no chemicals, but that is 2 vs 1. so 2 wins. some of you will dislike my decision. but i'm going with the algae chemicals.