· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: buoyancy?

1. Default buoyancy?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so... 2 of my cory cats died from what I think was fin rot but the other two seemed fine so I went out and bought 2 more from the same store (a very good place called Picasso) and brought them home and they seemed just fine. One of them was an albino like all the rest of mine and one was just an average bronze cory. Well... after a while once released (after acclimation) the darker cory started to well... have something that I can only call a buoyancy problem. He started off resting on the bottom of the tank just fine, but now unless he's actively trying to go down and stay down he just kinda... floats... usually on one side or the other... I don't really know what happened and the parameters are all fine as well as the water getting changed either daily or every other day since it's my 5.5 gallon quarantine tank. I did notice when I brought him home though that he seemed afraid of the 3 albino's in his tank, even though he was fine with the albino I brought him home with.

So... What's wrong with him and what can I do to fix it? Or should I take him back to the store and hope they exchange him?
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    The LFSs that I g0 t0 have p0licies that state they will take the fish back within 5 days 0f purchase if they turn up ill 0r dead. and they will replace the fish als0, might be w0rth checking int0. When that happens t0 me I usually will get a replacement fr0m the next batch they get in- in case it happens t0 be a pr0blem with the current gr0up 0f fish. I als0 tend t0 make frequent st0ps at the LFS, and will buy fish that have been there f0r a week 0r s0 and are d0ing well. The 0nly fish that have ended up fl0ating, in my case, are the dead/dying but that d0esn't mean that is what is g0ing 0n and I am n0 expert 0n fish illnesses.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    erm, if it's possibly fixable I would rather learn how to fix it in case it happens to a fish who isn't covered under a store's return policy because I've had it a while. If he is just dying I'll take him back when he's dead.

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    respectable, kn0wledge is p0wer, I h0pe the best f0r y0u.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and an update, George (the dark cory who was floating) seems to be resting on the bottom of the tank again and doing fine. Maybe it was just gas or something? (do fish get gas?) but... whatever was wrong seems to be gone now. ... It was rather weird.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fish have swim bladders that they use to control their buoyancy. Sometimes, if they gulp air from the top an they aren't labyrinth fish (those which can breathe atmospheric air), their swim bladder can get a little bloated and they can have balance issues for a while. Probably just that, since cories sometimes dart to the top of the tank.
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, okay, thanks. I think that probably was the issue (my corys really like to dart up there and snatch a bubble or something, but that's the first time I saw one having trouble so I was worried.)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad it wasn't anything worse
    Joseph Granata
    My decommissioned 37gal freshwater community tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116054
    My current 37gal FOWLR tank journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...42#post1214342

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    me too, it's hard enough being a novice without your fish all going belly up on you every time you turn around.