· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Red face Baby Rabbit Snail!

0 Not allowed!
    I got a rabbit snail just over a month ago at my LFS, and it's been doing great in my tank. A few days ago, I noticed the tip of his shell appeared to be broken off but he seemed unbothered so I didn't worry about it. Tonight, as my boyfriend and I were testing my water, we noticed the broken off bit had moved, and upon closer inspection, we found it to be a baby rabbit snail! I know the eggs hatch pretty quickly once they're laid, but I'm curious how long the gestation period is (that might not be the right terminology for an invertebrate haha)? She must have been pregnant (again, probably not the right word, but you get the point) when I got her. I haven't had much luck finding information about rabbit snail reproduction. When they have a baby, does their shell just break off at the tip to give the baby a shell? I read they reproduce every 2-4 weeks, so they must be able to regenerate their shells quickly.

I'm so excited about this adorable tiny snail! Any information about rabbit snail breeding would be much appreciated :)

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    IIRC they are livebearers. And the tip of the shell breaking off is just coincidental most likely. The baby was born with a shell. Don't remember much more than that unfortunately. I do know that you need a male and a female, and that female was probably pregnant when you got her. She may have a few more babies from that batch, but not many more.

Google would be your best bet in this case.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything I've found says they lay one egg at a time, though this egg usually hatches within about an hour of being laid. Can you point me to anything that talks about them being livebearers? Are they considered livebearers because the egg hatches so fast? I read on a few websites that they lay eggs, but I'd love to read a resource that says they're livebearers!

I haven't been able to find a lot on google, which is why I came here :) Thanks for your info!

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, looks like they are egg layers afterall, had them mixed up with another snail. Still, it hatched with its own shell, didn't steal it from its parent. :)

and yes, the parent may potentialls spawn a few more times. Several species are known to store the goods for a while.

For more info on them try googling "Sulawesi Snails".
    Last edited by Scrup; 07-23-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?