· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Nitrates in tap water

0 Not allowed!
    These are my water readings
    Ph 8
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 40

It's been that way since the tank finished cycling a month ago. (Except the Ph. It was 8.2 and came down to 8 after adding driftwood a month ago.) I was out of town for 3 weeks and DH changed 20% of the water weekly. I came home to algae. I got most of that cleaned up and have been doing water changes every 3 days to get the nitrates down, but it stays at 40. So I tested my tap water today and it's 20. No wonder the nitrates weren't going down with water changes. I know 40 isn't super high, but I have a cherry shrimp that I've read is sensitive to nitrates. What, if anything, should I do about this?

Also, the anacharis I have is dying off. When I first got it, the tank was still cycling and it grew pretty well. Now it's barely growing and I'm pulling out dead leaves and stems daily. I have flourescent lights over the tank plus it gets a small amount of sun daily when I open the blinds in the room the tank is in. Other than the water conditioner I add to neutralize the chlorine, I don't add anything else to the water.
    10 gallon
    3 albino corydoras
    1 red cherry shrimp
    pond snails
    1 dwarf lily
    anacharis

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates in tap water isn't uncommon in some areas. I use Prime as a water conditioner in my freshwater tanks and my nitrates stay around 20. One suggestion which may be too costly is to install an r/o water system in your residence. I have one for my saltwater tank and the water is pure. I use it on my freshwater tanks as well without conditioner when I have enough to spare.
    I always thought live plants used nitrates in the water as a food source but maybe I'm wrong. Just a note; direct sunlight to a tank is never a great idea. Usually it brings on alot of algae which makes a tank look bad.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't get the nitrates down any other way, RO is the way to go. I have an RO/DI system to make 35 gal of water weekly for my 75 gal. I have 1.0 ppm ammonia, 10 nitrates and a pH of 8.4 - 8.99 in my tap water. You have to adjust the RO water for hardness and pH, but it's easy to do.

Here is the link to the manufacturer of my unit - http://www.spectrapure.com/ .
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought the same about the plants.
    The tank doesn't get direct sunlight. It's on the opposite side of the room from the window. My blinds block out most of the sunlight and I keep them closed because I live in Texas and keeping them open makes it too hot in the room. I think the reason algae grew while I was out of town is because DH left the lights on too long. It could also be from the nitrates as well.
    An RO system is a bit much for me right now, but I think I can buy RO water from the fish store closest to me. I'll check into that.
    10 gallon
    3 albino corydoras
    1 red cherry shrimp
    pond snails
    1 dwarf lily
    anacharis

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I found the water itself is fairly cheap but take your own clean containers. Big Al here charges like an arm for the containers. Thats why I went to Home Depot and spent 200 bucks on my own system. Easy to install if your current under sink plumbing is in good shape. Mine needed two more trips to the store for replacement parts. lol.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The fish store close to me is really small so I'm sure I'd have to bring my own container anyway. Thankfully, I don't need much for a water change. My tank is only 10 gallons. We rent, so I really don't want to install an RO system here.
    10 gallon
    3 albino corydoras
    1 red cherry shrimp
    pond snails
    1 dwarf lily
    anacharis

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by masmbac View Post
    The fish store close to me is really small so I'm sure I'd have to bring my own container anyway. Thankfully, I don't need much for a water change. My tank is only 10 gallons. We rent, so I really don't want to install an RO system here.
    My unit sits on my counter next to my sink - it's not permanently installed. Menards sells 5 gal buckets for $2.60 to use with purchased RO water. You also need a lid. Five gal will give you about 3 water changes. You need to get Seachem Replenish to add the hardness back into the water and if you want a pH other than 6.5, you need to adjust with Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer. Using those sets your pH so you can keep the unused water in the bucket to use over the next 2 weeks.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"