· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Black Mystery Snail Death a Mystery

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 3 gallon fish tank with 3 Gubbies, about 6 guppy babies and 1 glo fish in it. I decided to get a snail for the algae and also a ghost shrimp for a bottom feeder. I have had 2 different Black Mystery Snails and they have both died after about a week of having them. I checked the Ph in the tank and it says it is about 7.6, so I'm not sure why the snail's keep dying on me. Anyone have any ideas? I dont' want to keep buying them if they are just going to keep dying. I did get Correct Ph tablets that you drop in the water and it is suppose to keep the Ph where it needs to be just in case. But I'm at a loss for why my snail's keep dying

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you ever used any medications with copper (like for ich) in that tank? If so, even if it's been a while, copper will be absorbed into the silicone sealing your tank and leach slowly into the water.

another thought - did you feed them anything? like zucchini or algae wafers? there might not have been enough food from the algae in a 3 gallon tank to sustain them, although a week seems like a short time for a snail to die of starvation.

I would not mess with the ph in your tank. stable ph is much more important than perfect ph - besides, 7.6 should be okay for most fish or inverts.

and finally - I have 3 tanks. i can keep snails alive and thriving in 2 of them and they simply won't live for me in the 3rd tank. I have no idea why either.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fawn2007 View Post
    I have a 3 gallon fish tank with 3 Gubbies, about 6 guppy babies and 1 glo fish in it. I decided to get a snail for the algae and also a ghost shrimp for a bottom feeder. I have had 2 different Black Mystery Snails and they have both died after about a week of having them. I checked the Ph in the tank and it says it is about 7.6, so I'm not sure why the snail's keep dying on me. Anyone have any ideas? I dont' want to keep buying them if they are just going to keep dying. I did get Correct Ph tablets that you drop in the water and it is suppose to keep the Ph where it needs to be just in case. But I'm at a loss for why my snail's keep dying
    I'm guessing that the ammonia level in that tank might be pretty high - 3 gallons is really too small for fish. If this is the case, that could explain why your snails keep dying.

I am assuming you are not keeping track of your water parameters (via checking with a test kit and changing your water) and that perhaps your tank isn't cycled - how long has this tank been running with the fish in it?

It is truly more important that you have a way to monitor your parameters and keep your water clean than to keep throwing pH tablets into the tank - it's not the pH (most common aquarium fish can adjust to a range of pH readings) that will harm the inhabitants but ammonia.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    all good points, Imma. I missed the obvious. Had not even thought of the possibility that the tank might not be cycled - and yes it's a very small tank for fish.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank has a filter to it and I change out about 15-20% of the water every week. The pet shop that I got the fish all at know the size tank I have and they specialize in fish. There is a good amount of algae in the tank, enough for the snail. The pet store is the one that recommended the black mystery snail for the size tank I have. It is actually my sons fish tank, I figured it would be a good starter tank for him (I am the one taken care of the tank though). The tank is only about a month old I would say. So if I would get food for the snail, what would I want to get?

0 Not allowed!
    The tank has a filter to it and I change out about 15-20% of the water every week. The pet shop that I got the fish all at know the size tank I have and they specialize in fish. There is a good amount of algae in the tank, enough for the snail. The pet store is the one that recommended the black mystery snail for the size tank I have. It is actually my sons fish tank, I figured it would be a good starter tank for him (I am the one taken care of the tank though). The tank is only about a month old I would say. So if I would get food for the snail, what would I want to get?
    Nice you have a filter but when owning a tank with fish or other animals (such as a snail) living in there, it's important to also learn about "cycling" and check your water parameters - that's just part of being a responsible fish keeper - sadly most pet stores don't educate new fish owners about that and then the customer wonders why things keep dying.

Snails generally do fine eating leftovers - I wonder about the algae though - it usually signals an imbalance in the water. Hopefully you aren't overfeeding the fish (they only need to be fed a tiny amount of food daily - enough to eat in about a minute- and some of us fast our fish once a week). Overfeeding fish can also lead to poor water quality and hence, your snails not doing well.

I still feel 3gal isn't enough for fish. The smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain good water quality. And with that size tank, I would change at least 50% per week - it's easy! Even if you aren't willing to upgrade to a larger tank (like a 10gal even), you really need to get a liquid test kit, check your water parameters and change more water each time, plus clean your gravel - all this might help a future snail do better.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well with the guppies in there, i was told to change about 15-20% a week. To much of a water change can hurt the females. The filter I have in there does cycle the water also. Right now I feed the fish twice a day. It's what I was told with the guppies cause they will feel more comfortable that way. I give them just flakes in the morning and than a flake shrimp mix at night. And once a week I replace a flake shrimp mix meal with frozen brine shrimp. And with the algae, there is not that much but I was told with the fish I have, it will be enough to feed the snail. The ghost shrimp died about the same time though too. But my fish are fine

0 Not allowed!
    Well with the guppies in there, i was told to change about 15-20% a week. To much of a water change can hurt the females Incorrect unfortunately - water changes won't hurt anything in your tank - they are necessary to maintain good water quality and with the size of your tank, it's really necessary to change more than what you are doing to prevent further deaths. Fish can not be harmed by a water change unless what you are putting in is a very different temperature or you are adding water without conditioner in it.. The filter I have in there does cycle the water also - A filter "circulates" water but it doesn't "cycle" it (it's not the water that gets cycled) - by cycled I mean your filter needs to grow beneficial bacteria in it in order to break down the fish's waste (ammonia) - without this bacteria, the ammonia builds up in the water and can harm the fish - until the bacteria grows to do this, it's up to you to remove it. The way you tell this is by testing your water for ammonia. Right now I feed the fish twice a day. It's what I was told with the guppies cause they will feel more comfortable that way - Fish will always be happy to be fed, but that doesn't mean it's good for them - the more they are fed, the more waste they produce which can lead to poor water quality..The ghost shrimp died about the same time though too. But my fish are fine.
    Please see my responses above - I believe you were given misinformation about certain things and not enough about other things (like cycling). You asked why your snails/shrimp aren't surviving and I'm letting you know that water quality and a cycled tank has a lot to do with living things surviving in a tank. If you choose to not increase your water changes or learn to monitor your water parameters, the fish might surprise you and survive for a while but I'm betting they will start showing problems related to stress (like getting sick or getting lethargic) as well at some point.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm also wondering what your plans are for the baby guppies once they grow up? As they get bigger, they will produce more and more waste. Were you planning to keep all those guppies in there, bring them back to the store or get a larger tank?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I will start doing a 50% water change every week instead of 15-20%. And ok I am lost when you say the water has to be cycled with the bacteria. How exactly should I clean the gravel in the tank without taking all of the fish out of the tank? And yes I do plan on getting a bigger tank. With the snail though, other than just the algae from the tank, how do I know if it is getting enough food? What should I feed it? Should I cut the fish back to once a day? I want to make sure the baby guppies get enough food to grow right.