· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Mean male JD

1. Default Mean male JD

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone , I'm sure someone can help me so here goes.....75 gallon tank ph 7.4-7.8 , amm. 0 , trIte 0 , trAte 0 from what I can tell by color chart it may be a bit above 0 but not much.Gravel substrate.
    no plants . Temp. constantly 77 .Weekly vaccum and WC roughly 25%.Filter media rinse once a month.Big rocks forming a cave . My problem is that the male JD seems to chase the female away from any food that I give them . She does get to eat but I feel like she may not be getting enough . They have been together for 4 years now and this chasing away just recently started . I feed them tetramin flakes ,Omega One cichlid pellets , earthworms , and crickets . I know he is eating well and she must be getting enough to sustain her but I would feel better if she got to eat more. I don't know if this is a problem or not so would someone tell me if i need to worry about it.Thanks and have a safe holiday . All responses will be greatly appreciated.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried dropping food at both ends of the tank at the same time? He can't chase and eat simultaneously...
    The only other thing I can suggest is maybe drop a divider in there for feeding time. Sometimes a big net is enough to keep them separated for short periods of time...might be enough time for her to get a couple good chomps in so long as they aren't spooked by the divider.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good idea sheamurai about the divider , that just might work . your first answer is what i've been doing and it works when feeding worms and crickets but not with the pellets or flakes . she doesn't even seem interested in those anyway .thanks and i'll let you know how it goes.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    could somone tell me why he would be trying to keep her away from the food?

0 Not allowed!
    If he doesn't consider her as a mate, he will see her as competition just as he would see any other JD in his territory. On a side note, I cannot imagine even feeding flake food to a couple of full grown JDs. I would just eliminate them altogether. He may be smelling that they are food but they are so insignificant in his mouth that he is not getting satisfied. It would be like eating rice one grain at a time.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks kingfisher the male eats anything I put in there and I only give flakes whenever I run out of anything else. The female only eats worms or crickets . Would it be safe to introduce another female or do you think that would be asking for trouble?

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Once a pair mated, the unmated fish would end up dead.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you .I think I'll leave them alone for a while and keep a close watch and if things get worse I'l move one of them .

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eltylT View Post
    good idea sheamurai about the divider , that just might work . your first answer is what i've been doing and it works when feeding worms and crickets but not with the pellets or flakes . she doesn't even seem interested in those anyway .thanks and i'll let you know how it goes.
    She's not interested in the pellets or flakes because you keep offering worms and crickets.