· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Restaurant tank -- what would you do?

0 Not allowed!
    My partner and I were just casually talking about our futures last night and as a joke I mentioned that when we are both rich and he owns his own restaurant (as is the highest peak of achievement for any chef, short of having your own TV show) it would have a gigantic freshwater aquarium in it, maintained by me.

It's all fun and games of course, but it got me thinking. What would you put in it? If budget wasn't a constraint and neither was size. Something that the average-joe non-fishy person would be interested in -- something people would book ahead for weeks to get a table next to. My first thought was a gigantic discus community, but then I began to consider Altum Angels. Maybe a 10-foot SA-cichlid community, or Malawi cichlids even. Possibilities are endless.

What would YOU put in such a tank?

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Native warmwater vivarium biotope. Complete with inverts.

Bass, bluegill, sunfish, catfish, minnows, clams, crawfish, the list goes on and on.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    Would depend a bit on the kind of restaurant. If you're doing something Asian you'd almost certainly would have to do Arowana.

I'd consider a long driftwood biotope with big river stones and with spot lighting. A huge shoal of cardinals , a group of angels and some l-numbers.

0 Not allowed!
    I thought about Arowana but I think something "pretty" over something which is like "Omg what is THAT" would be nicer for a relaxing restaurant. And it wouldn't be an asian restaurant anyway... my partner isn't asian.

Agreed about the cardinals! I was thinking wild-type discus. Mmmm.

0 Not allowed!
    Well having seen a problem with a local restaurant's tank, it was far too deep (6'+) while being narrow. So they couldn't clean or maintain it and kinda ruined it.

My dream tank for something like that would be like 30+ ft long, 2' wide, 2' tall and would consist of a bunch of large schools in heavy planted tank with driftwood and stones

Prob do a few schools of cory, a large school of rummeynose, large school of cardinals, some nice angels (i hear in large schools they do well) and maybe a few other types. Or discus rather than angels

Have the tank kinda be a long flowing U shaped so that 1 large table can be placed in it (like a booth). The tank would be about a 20' radius

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like hardy's idea about tank dimensions but I'd go with your idea of Discus or a mix of SA cichlids and some cardinals to fill it out. sounds like a fun dream.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you had a ten foot tank with at least 2 feet of width I would say I large school of clown loaches. They would be loach dancing up the glass for everyone to see, and they get enough size to be easy to see. Oh and the customers could watch the fish eat off of forks too (zucchini). Driftwood with floating plants could round it out.

Oh there would be more fish but that would be my centerpiece.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    If you had a ten foot tank with at least 2 feet of width I would say I large school of clown loaches. They would be loach dancing up the glass for everyone to see
    Clown loaches are an excellent idea. Not many tanks are large enough for them but they would have plenty of room
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I would do a large saltwater reef tank built into a wall to hide all equipment.
    Since you want a freshwater tank, I would go with peaceful colorful fish that are also very hardy. You wouldn't want the patrons to see aggression issues or sick or dead fish while they are eating.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 07-03-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    I would do a large fish only salt water tank with some of the more peaceful and colorful large body angels and a few of the large bodied lionfish.

With good quality LED lights, there would be fantastic colors and activity to watch.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]