· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 50 gallon stocking mbunas

0 Not allowed!
    Hey. most of you have probably seen my other topics about stocking my 50 gallon bowfront tank but my dad and uncle that are into african cichlids have made me change my mind about a SA tank and going with african instead.

I have just finished setting up the tank and it looks wonder full i'm so proud of my self.

The tank is setup with just a few rocks but big ones so there is almost no open area at the bottom but a lot a few " higher.

Now i am at the hard part what species to get.

I have decided for the small mbunas that gets to around 4" since the caves are quite small for the larger ones.

How many fishes combined can i have in a tank this size?

I'm going to have 3 species

i have been thinking of Melanochromis auratus , Metriaclima aurora and Pseudotropheus sp. 'acei'
    These are easy to get where i live but any tips are welcomed.

the perfect colors would be 2 or more colors per male
    i can also go for 6 diffrent colors in the tank.
    Last edited by Kazumi; 07-03-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Stay away from Auratus and sub in yellow labs. They are a better fit personality wise. If it was a 75gal or larger the Auratus would be better... Each species should be 1m/3-4f.

The other way to do this tank though is to go for all male peacock cichlids.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    is yellow labs cearulus or something like that?

I really don't want males and females to look alike like Golden are (golden are our name for Cearulus)

peakcock is something i thought of but quite rare where i live have to travel several hours just to get any.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, yellow labs are Cearulus. Speaking from experience, you will have your hands full keeping this tank stable. Stay away from Auratus (Melanochromis period for that matter) unless you are ok with just having Auratus and lots of other dead fish. Acei are usually pretty mellow. Auratus you want to up the ration to 1male to 5 females, the other guys you can probably get away with 1 male to 3 females.

Have you done much reading on Mbuna? They are the single most frustrating fish I have ever kept and are not by any means suitable for someone who is not willing to do their homework or take some fish back when they are not a good fit. Also, caves make ALL the difference between a functional, yet semi safe Mbuna battlefield (because honestly, its what they do) and a dead fish every week.

And whoever told you 4" was wrong. Dwarf species maybe...but not the full fledges hellraisers.

Have you by chance considered Tangs or are you set on Malawi?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have done reading for abit a year i have been thinking about malawi for that long but it never came to going that route i always keept going the SA route.

I want the small mbunas that reach about 4" the dwarfs ones not the large one.

i have about 30-40 caves but they are small so thats why i want the dwarfs ones they are the only ones small enough to use them when they are adults, also the tank is quite small for the large ones IMO.

I have just named the 3 mbunas i think look cool that are close to me i also like the afra but havn't seen anyone selling any in my area. There are hundreds of mbunas to go though so im asking here for what species are reaching just 4" in lenght, i wasn't saying these are the ones im going to get. If i would i wouldn't ask here for tips on other mbunas would i?

I don't think you have really read anything that i wrote uptop. I have no problem returning fish or doing homework.

Ill do the questions again so you maybe see them.

I want tips on mbunas that reach about 4"
    I would love to get all 3 species im going to have with 2 colors per male, BUT i can go for like 6 diffrent colors in the whole tank.

an example:
    Metriaclima estherae, males normaly goes blue and females red thats an ok fish for me
    Labidochromis caeruleus, males gets yellow and so do female, not an ok fish gets to centered on 1 color.

Do you understand now what i mean?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Double post

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what about ps saulosi males blue femalea yellow. And they stay around 4-5"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are some dimorphic(different colored gender) species. I will follow that by saying that a 50 gallon bowfront is too small for some, if it is a 36" tank, and realistically you should make it either a single or 2 species tank. Mbuna can be a rewarding experience if you stock right. If not they can be a nightmare. I would warn that you should stay away from Auratus. They are nasty and need at least a 1:7 ratio, lest you start removing dead fish. Here are some ideas.
    Psudotropheus Saulosi are a good choice, blue/black striped males, yellow females.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1

Metriaclima Estherae(Red Zebras), CAN be dimorphic, but you may have a hard time finding blue males. The orange males get paler with baby blue highlights. Regardless, if they are all orange it's a nice contrast in the tank.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1729

Pseudotropheus Elegans(formerly Acei) are monomorphic as well, but get too big(up to 6") for a tank that size.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1460

Iodotropheus Sprengerae(Rusties), also monomorphic, could be a good fit. You need to find a quality strain of these to get the good colors. I've seen way too many in LFS that look nothing like good ones do.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...ies.php?id=707

Pseudotropheus Cyaneorhabdos, again monomorphic, only get to about 4" and generally only get a bit boisterous with their own. A two species tank with them and Yellow Labs makes a nice contrast.
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...ies.php?id=756

Pseudotropheus Demasoni are smaller but mean little buggers. They can also be done with yellow labs. But you need to start with AT LEAST 12 if not more to spread the aggression. In more cases than not, if you don't, you will wind up with one left as the dominant ones will systematically eliminate the others.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...ies.php?id=849

If you find a mix you like, you are not limited to what your LFS carries. There are many online places and hobbiests that you can get quality stock from. Mail order is easy and when you buy more and figure in the shipping to the cost per fish, it's not much more(if at all) than buying at a store. If you want suggestions on places to find good quality stock, PM me, I can suggest a few.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have now intreduced fish i was at probably the biggest cichlid expert in Sweden has had a massive store since -93 and he breeds most of the fish himself and he have been breeding all kinds of cichlids for about 40 years but mostly africans.

I gave a list of about 10 species that grew to about 4" according to the internet and he said that about 4 of the species would work in my tank.

Now it's stocked with 3+3 salosi and 3+3 afra jalo reef.

looks abit empty but they are just about 2.5" big

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good choices IMO based on the tank. Good luck!
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!