· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Fish tail help?

1. Default Fish tail help?

0 Not allowed!
    Today after feeding I noticed something going on with the tails of one of my Cory cats and I don't know what's wrong. I got a few (bad quality) pics that I'll post... I think maybe his tail got hurt while I was cleaning on sunday or something? It looks kinda like a bad bruise to me at least, but it could be something worse and I'm such a novice I don't realize it.IMG_20130702_104336_814_zps859b599c.jpgIMG_20130702_104147_841_zps256785c4.jpg

Please help... I know they aren't the best quality but I'm seriously scared about this cuz it's the first issue I've run into since starting my 2 tanks.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

0 Not allowed!
    it looks like finrot to me. quarantine with clean water and treat with antibiotic and antifungal. even if it is a physical injury it still would be smart to prevent infection.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mmmkay, he (and the other 3 corys since I couldn't just catch him and another one whose tail was starting to look red too when I got a closer look since the other 2 kept getting in the way) are acclimating the the quarantine tank now. Should I also dose the home tank once or twice to make sure anything in there dies and doesn't pass to my other fish? (my betta and my 2 otocinclus?) Also, will the dosing hurt my other 2 corys if they aren't sick with it?

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

0 Not allowed!
    I do not think that you would have to dose the main tank. finrot is usually caused by bacteria or fungi that naturally exist in most aquariums, and only cause trouble when there is an opportunity, such as dirty water or
    an open wound. therefore it is not something you have to get rid of.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. Thank you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have Pimafix and Melafix going into the Qtank. After they're done with this the cory's shall be moving into a 40 gallon breeder and, after I clean the Qtank I will be getting a few more corys (same breed, just not albinos) and quarantining those to add in with them (there will be others eventually but... I want the cory's first cuz they're the hardiest breed I have to add, plus I already know these four are full of life.)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also figured out what the probable source of the fin rot was. My anubis plant had exposed roots and they were trapping food (including a brand I stopped using after a week since the Cory's preferred something else). I hadn't noticed because nothing came up when I vacuumed around it. I'll be more careful now.