· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Corals in FW community aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have recently started up with a 25 gallon aquarium, and have been seeing frequent fish deaths. I went through the beginners guide provided by your website and indeed it was very helpful. I have started following the guidelines there and hope to see some improvement in the coming weeks.

I have one questions though.. is it ok to have dead corals in a freshwater aquarium? These corals were picked up from beaches and have been there in the tank for some time. I was suspecting do they cause the water chemistry to change for the worse?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Coral tends to dissolve over time and add a lot of hardness and increase the pH of freshwater. Depending on your initial water chemistry, how quickly it changes, and how much it changes... It very well could pose a problem to your fish. Or the shock of the difference when you do water changes could also be harmful.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    If y0u give us a list 0f y0ur tank size, water parameters, what fish y0u have- y0u might get a few m0re specific answers. But c0ral will indeed tweak 0ut the pH.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks much for your responses.
    I do not have the means to test the water parameters currently.. though i can confirm it is not hard water... about the others:
    Tank size is 3ft x 1ft x 1.5ft (LxBxH), holds about 100 ltrs of water i suppose. It has a power filter (Boyu PF 1000) and a biofoam filter.
    The fishes i have are:
    1 x black sucker fish (2 in)
    1 x whiteish/pinkish sucker fish (4 in)
    2 x shark (i suppose it is Colombian Shark Catfish) (2 in)
    4 x silver dollar ( ~ 1.5 cm )
    1 x dont-know-its-name ( :P pic attached) (3 in)

Hope this helps..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by njathan; 07-02-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh boy.

The one you took a picture of is a goldfish.

In the near future you should consider rehoming the goldie and the columbian shark. If the black suckerfish is a bristlenose pleco you are fine. If it is a normal pleco, it can grow up to 2 feet. Silver dollars are no small fish either when fully grown. A bit too small for a 25G as well.

Overcrowding will soon become an issue, if its not already what is causing the deaths.

The corals are not something I would worry about at this point. If its ever in question, just remove it.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Scrup,

Why rehome goldie and shark? Because of compatibility issues? (I did read something about sharks here which put in a quandary -> http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...eemanni/#notes )

Suckerfish is a normal pleco. I did figure it grows too large, but that would be after a long time right? Ditto for dollar? Is, in your opinion, a one year period a managable time before i trade my fish with someone with a more capable tank?

If the corals aren't much of an issue, i'll let them be there. I replace 10-15 litres of water every couple of days, which hopefully should take care of that(??)

0 Not allowed!
    Few things:

1. what is probably happening is that the coral is raising the pH and then when you do a water change it drops the pH back down, and then it starts going back up again. This instability is very tough on the fish and is probably leading to stress and death

2. The tank is over stocked, those fish are going to have major issues in there soon, if not already. The goldfish is a bad mix with this group also. Most of the fish you have in there are really meant to be pond fish.

Just my $.02
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    I run crushed coral in a few of my tanks as a substrate. While it does raise the pH somewhat, its not enough to cause noticable swings when I do even massive water changes- 80-90%. That being said, if its in question, why even chance it.

I still think your problem is just due to overcrowding.

Columbian shark will need brackish water when it is an adult.
    The pleco and goldfish will both get over 18" if they don't get stunted. And they grow faster than you think.
    The silver dollars will each be 6-8", and active. a 55g is pushing it with them, let alone a 25g.

Small tank=small fish. You have lots of big fish. It just doesn't work.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    -Click to enlarge-

Mid-size columbian shark in a brackish tank.
    Colombian_shark2.jpg
    Adult silver dollar.
    silver_dollar_fish_market.jpg
    Adult common pleco.
    100908mysterya.jpg
    Adult common goldfish.
    GB_BIGGEST_Goldfish_470456a.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    picture is worth 1000 words. Wasn't positive about the corals, but good point, didn't think that people actually used crushed coral.

But I'm betting the ammonia is pretty high in the tank too
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread