· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Question with converting 20 gallon tank with goldfish to freshwater

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 gallon long with two comet goldfish. They both died about 3-5 days apart. I was not able to determine the cause. At this point I want to convert it to freshwater. I emptied the water and will be totally cleaning out the tank.

My three questions...

1) I was thinking of leaving the existing filter cartridges intact to speed up the cycle however is it possible that what ever killed the gold fish... could it be lurking within the filter. Is it safer to start from scratch with new filters.

2) I also have a cycled 55 gallon tank, what about when I do my next water change put the water from the 55 in to the 20 gallon. does that make sense to speed things up ?

3) Is it possible to put a few cichlids in a 20 gal or would that be too small?

thanks,

0 Not allowed!
    a goldfish needs freshwater, did you use salt water?
    if so you found the cause. also comet goldfish get 12 inches and need a bigger tank than a 20. more like a 65.
    i would leave the cartridges in.
    there is no bacteria that cycles the tank in water. the bacteria lives in your filter media. so get new clean water.
    you could get some dwarf cichlids. like bolivan ram, blue german ram, gold ram, kribensis, apisto.
    but you can't get like oscars or other big cichlids
    also how did you cycle your tank, and what filtration do you have
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2life View Post
    I have a 20 gallon long with two comet goldfish. They both died about 3-5 days apart. I was not able to determine the cause. At this point I want to convert it to freshwater. I emptied the water and will be totally cleaning out the tank.

My three questions...

1) I was thinking of leaving the existing filter cartridges intact to speed up the cycle however is it possible that what ever killed the gold fish... could it be lurking within the filter. Is it safer to start from scratch with new filters.

2) I also have a cycled 55 gallon tank, what about when I do my next water change put the water from the 55 in to the 20 gallon. does that make sense to speed things up ?

3) Is it possible to put a few cichlids in a 20 gal or would that be too small?

thanks,
    #1: What killed them was most likely the fact that it was 2 comets, a pond species really, in a 20 gallon. So, don't worry.
    #2: Not at all. Filter media from the 55 is what you want
    #3: Depends on which cichlid. Some of the big bruisers like oscar, forget it. A pair of apistogramma or ram, sure. 2 pair of Tanganyikan shell dwellers, should work. Of course these fish have their own water requirements and you're not telling anything about your water so it's tricky to say what could work.

0 Not allowed!

My three questions...

As stated above already, the bacteria in your current filter has died by now - but use the media again to recycle it.

The 55 is cycled meaning it currently has fish in it? Your water parameters show it is cycled? Again, as stated above, cycling your 20gal again can go faster if you put some media from the 55gal filter into the 20gal filter.
    Please see my responses above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have an Emperor 400 on my 55 gallon. When I bought the 20 gl long, the LFS sold me an Aqueon 10-20 filter which I felt was too small. I bought the Aqueon 30-40 and left both filters on the tank.

Planning on adding new water and cycling with the existing filters. So... to clarify if there were any disease in the water that killed the goldfish they could not be in the filter that I will be reusing, correct?

And Vafa, I had the goldfish in freshwater, not saltwater

My 55 gal has been cycled and has fish in it however how do I move the media from the 55gl filter to the 20 gal filter. they are in different size cartridges

0 Not allowed!
    I have an Emperor 400 on my 55 gallon. When I bought the 20 gl long, the LFS sold me an Aqueon 10-20 filter which I felt was too small. I bought the Aqueon 30-40 and left both filters on the tank.

Planning on adding new water and cycling with the existing filters. So... to clarify if there were any disease in the water that killed the goldfish they could not be in the filter that I will be reusing, correct?

And Vafa, I had the goldfish in freshwater, not saltwater

My 55 gal has been cycled and has fish in it however how do I move the media from the 55gl filter to the 20 gal filter. they are in different size cartridges
    We are assuming that poor water parameters and poor water quality killed the fish, not a disease - like maybe your ammonia was really high - do you check your water parameters on your other tank?

Vafa brought up the salt water because you said you wanted to "convert" it into freshwater - hence this implies you were adding salt.

I'm not sure about transferring media to a smaller filter - I have seen recommendations to put gravel from the cycled tank into the new filter because it contains bacteria also and will "seed" the new media.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    what i would is is get new media for the 20. cartridges aren't the best for cycling. they don't house bacteria well.
    get bio-max. which is anything similar to this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754140.
    just because you have slots for carbon, doesn't mean you have to use carbon.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry about the confusion with the phrase converting to freshwater, what I meant was converting from goldfish to freshwater tropical fish