Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of activity today, BUMP, this is a good question that needs answering
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I have a question -​

When I have the first 29 gal ready to go, with biomax that has seeded in my 75 gal (filtration for the 29 gal will be a Rena XP-M canister, for up to 75 gal), how will I know if there is enough BB for the 12 glowlight danios and the 2 BNPs? Before stocking, should I add pure ammonia and see how long it takes for the BB to convert it to nitrates - should be within 24 hrs, right? How many ppm of ammonia would you raise it to in a 29 gal?
    Hmm, good question, I am uncertain...maybe one of the experts here will chime in with an opinion
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Look what came yesterday -

Rena XP M.jpg

I have changed my stocking list for each tank -

First 29 gal - 20 Glowlight Danios
    Second 29 gal - 20 Amano Shrimp and 10 Peppered Cories

I have decided that I want to setup a future BNP only tank, a 30 gal which would give 4 Calico BNPs a larger footprint that the 29 gal (and let me have 4 BNPs instead of 2). BN1 & BN2 really used the whole 48 inch length of my 75 gal and I think a 30 inch tank is a bit short. They loved to zoom across the front glass, from one end to the other. I think a 36 inch tank would be just right. This would take up the last space I have for a tank in my living, I mean, fish room. Probably set this up in early winter.

Now, I have a question -​ Posted this about a week ago, but didn't get any replies -

When I have the first 29 gal ready to go (in about 3 weeks), with biomax that has seeded in my 75 gal (filtration for the 29 gal is a Rena XP-M canister, for up to 75 gal), how will I know if there is enough BB for the 20 glowlight danios? Before stocking, should I add pure ammonia and see how long it takes for the BB to convert it to nitrates - should be within 24 hrs, right? How many ppm of ammonia would you raise it to in a 29 gal?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would move the media over then do a normal fishless cycle it shouldn't take long and would guarantee that the BB was there and ready for fish.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    New Toys! I, for one, can't wait to see your new tanks set up and running. Following your progress allows me to alleviate my MTS, by enjoying your tanks vicariously!

Regarding your question on cycling, I have also been waiting for an answer! Limming's solution sounds like the safest way to go. Since your filter is well seeded, a fishless cycle would happen very quickly (at least in theory!). It's not as fast as adding fish immediately, but at least you will know for sure that your BB colony can handle whatever you add to the tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ???????????
    I was researching sands and Black Diamond came up. I think he meant blasting sand (basically the grit used in sandblasting) - it supposedly looks like black Tahitian moon sand but is way cheaper. Seems neither is recommended for bottom dwellers because of sharp edges. Some ppl use them anyway and say their corys are fine.

So you're connecting the tanks together side by side? Are they separate systems or going to share water?

Awards Showcase

For your loss. - steeler1 <3 - Sandz Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 
    A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a question -​

When I have the first 29 gal ready to go, with biomax that has seeded in my 75 gal (filtration for the 29 gal will be a Rena XP-M canister, for up to 75 gal), how will I know if there is enough BB for the 12 glowlight danios and the 2 BNPs? Before stocking, should I add pure ammonia and see how long it takes for the BB to convert it to nitrates - should be within 24 hrs, right? How many ppm of ammonia would you raise it to in a 29 gal?
    When I moved media from my 45 gallon to my 10 gallon to get ready for my cory shipments I added a few drops of ammonia to bring it up to 1 ppm then tested in 24 hours to make sure there was enough bb working...I continued to do this until the day before the shipment then did a 90% wc to lower the nitrates.

Hopefully some of the more experienced members could chime in on this to verify the dosing up to ?ppm for your 29 gallon.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    I was researching sands and Black Diamond came up. I think he meant blasting sand (basically the grit used in sandblasting) - it supposedly looks like black Tahitian moon sand but is way cheaper. Seems neither is recommended for bottom dwellers because of sharp edges. Some ppl use them anyway and say their corys are fine.

So you're connecting the tanks together side by side? Are they separate systems or going to share water?
    I'm going to try the petco brand black sand - really good reviews and it doesn't have sharp edges. I looked at it in the store and liked what I saw. Also got a tip from one of the reviews on avoiding clumps when adding it to the tank (I did not have this problem with the sand in the 75 gal).

My 29 gals will be set up end-to end, a total length of 5 feet (each tank is 30-1/4 inches wide, 12-1/2 inches deep). The two stands will be bolted together in the middle and share one 5 ft piece of styrofoam, but the tanks will be separate, each with their own filtration, heater, lighting and if needed, airstone.

I have been following wgoldfarb's journal with his Venezuelan biotope tank and became intrigued. I will use the black sand in both tanks for a uniform look. I would like to do a Southeast Asian biotope in the Glowlight Danio tank, but that will be very hard (if not impossible), using artificial plants. I have lots of research to do regarding the aquascaping. For the Amano Shrimp/Peppered Cory tank, I will set it up so it's the right environment for the inhabitants. More research to do for this tank also. These tanks will have a very different look versus my 75 gal.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 07-31-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have used the black petco sand and the expensive black sand. The petco sand is really close to the same thing. It did require a tad more rinsing than the expensive stuff, but worth it for the savings.

0 Not allowed!
    I am using black diamond and have seen no ill effects on my cories or BN's. the stuff feels gritty (like sand at a beach) but that is b/c i chose the 20/40 grit. You could go a finer grit if you wanted too
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast