· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof new school fish. - cm12setx Thank you! - BluewaterBoof 

Default 10 and 20 gallon shrimp tanks

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 gallon tank I found in the basement, and happen to have a HOB filter just lying around too. So I have been entertaining the idea of setting up the tank as a shrimp tank. There will be an alternate purpose to the tank as I have some aponogetons that have flowered and produced seeds/plant-lets and I wanted somewhere to plant the seeds/plant-lets and get them to grow a bit to sell or bring to the next local fish club giveaway.

I was thinking of adding some small fish too(endlers or celestial danios, 3 asian stone catfish), but have been dissuaded by others telling me the fish will decimate the shrimp populations. So I will just add about 4-6 otos to the tank as well.

Since I will be wanting to at least have some root tabs, as well as do some dosing of excel and have a light for plant growth I wanted to make sure I picked a shrimp that would be okay with a well lit tanks and some ferts in the water. The substrate will be a mix of black sand, coarse Eco-compete and possibly some plain dirt or peat. I will be adding some moss as well as spiderwood and almond leaves too

Never having done a tank like this I would appreciate any tips form pother who have kept shrimp. What would be the best shrimp to start with? I read that the RCS are the best to begin, is there another variety. Looking for something that will breed well too. I am looking for a lasting population.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. planted w/DW, EMPTY
    5g. pending tear down, EMPTY
    10g. CYCLED!!! Orange shrimp, and Chili rasboras
    20L CYCLED!!! Blue Pearl Shrimp, Epsei and CPD

My 75g:
    My 10-20L Shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED right back at cha :o) - fishmommie 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    You could go with any of the red cherry shrimp species. There are many color variations of them. But do not mix them. They can breed brown if mixed. Otis and shrimp are a nice combo. Rcs are cheap and more common. Just ask Matt to bottle you some water and they will over run your tank.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

1 Not allowed!
    Chris, the patent is pending on the water, so I can't ship it yet, lol

Natalia...you've never had RCS?...just grass, glass, gas, ghost shrimp?

Where in the heck did you read that endlers or CPD's would decimate a RCS population?...you know the drill, if it will fit in the mouth of a fish, it will be eaten...but endlers and CPD's are tiny fish, with tiny mouths
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof new school fish. - cm12setx Thank you! - BluewaterBoof 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, just had the ghost/glass/grass shrimp in the 75 gallon tank, they do a good job hiding and I can see them shooting across the tank on occasion. Though I do have to replace their numbers every few months since I don't have a breeding population.

I brought the idea up to my sister and she adamantly bit my head off as she told me it was a "BAD, no horrible idea!" and that they would eat the shrimp whole or snack on their eyes, and what was I thinking!! (this from the girl who bought $70 worth of RCS and then put a betta in the tank who then had a $70 snack ).

I looked up the CPD's on seriouslyfish.com and it did say they ate invertebrates, zoo plankton and daphnia, and I read that cardinals would do the same-attaching the shrimp as a "pack". Just thought I would get other opinions for the tank.
    Last edited by Boundava; 03-14-2015 at 04:18 AM.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. planted w/DW, EMPTY

My 75g:
    My 10-20L Shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED Thx for the nomination - pRED right back at cha :o) - fishmommie 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie Good to see you back and thanx for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 Here's one for the weekend ;-) - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Slap will tell you he has plenty of shrimp in the 40b. With many rummy and Columbian tetras. I have many in a five gallon with one electric blue ram, he might get one every once in a while. But with cover and plants they will be fine. Pick the shrimp you want first, give two or three months for the population to grow and then add fish. FYI eww factor shrimp poop a lot. Makes great plant fertilizer. Please have fun with this idea.
    Ps he has shrimp and cdp in tank together also.

Pps here is another take on cdp.
    http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...onary-tale.htm
    Last edited by cm12setx; 03-14-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Awards Showcase

Have another Cory! - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx 
    Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    I have tons of RCS in a 20 long with Kerri Tetras, black neon tetras, duplicareus cories and a couple of otos. I also have them in one SpecV with boraras urophthalmoides and another SpecV with Hastatus cories. However, I added some to another tank with sparkling gouramis and chilis and they didn't make it in there, so go figure. I think it was the gouramis that went after them, although I only added a few and there was not much in the way of plants for hiding at the time.

If shrimp are to be the main attraction, I would also add some type of moss. In my Spec V, this just sits on the bottom and grows like crazy. I have both subwassertang and another moss that I don't really know which one it is. In the 20 long there is moss attached to driftwood, although this tank is heavily planted so the shrimp are really everywhere.
    Last edited by SueD; 03-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys, I was going to do the nursery for the aponogetons with the spider-wood and some moss mats in the tank. I will stick to my guns and get the CPD and otos along with some RCS and I think either a tiger shrimp or dark green shrimp. I think I found a shelf that will work to hold the 10 gallon as well as the 2 gallons. Will check out my local hardware store and local restaurant supplier to see if they have something in stock that is less than the $150-some for the shelf and ship, if not I will get it online.
    5g. planted w/DW, EMPTY

My 75g:
    My 10-20L Shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    And with them you can say you have a Margarita in your tank.
    celestichthys-margaritatus
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    I have RCS that are bigger than my CPD's.....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    That's is what I thought, the CPD seem very small and so would be the size of/smaller than the shrimp. Think they will be nice in a 10...I am even contemplating using a light sand instead of the black I had found. I would just use root tabs instead of the eco complete. Mr. Slap-you have the RCS on the light sand, and it seems to work exceptionally well for you...but you have magic water!
    5g. planted w/DW, EMPTY

My 75g:
    My 10-20L Shrimp tank