· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Final's 5g Nano Reef

4 Not allowed!
    Figured id better start a journal for this one. It's my first attempt at anything saltwater so it will be a learning experience for me and will definitely need some help from you all along the way. It's the new Fluval Evo 5 that everyone it talking about. I can see why it's getting so much attention, for $90 it's very well designed, and the built in LED lights are spectacular. If you would have told me 5 years ago one would be able to grow corals in a $90 tank kit with it's built in light I would never have believed it. LED's really are changing the game.

I got it setup last Friday. Used 5lbs of live sand and about 7lbs of live rock. I'm also buying premixed salt water for reefs that has the needed additives for coral. With a 5g tank there's no reason for me to get into the salt mixing. Not sure about stocking yet, going to be coral first and then inverts. Maybe one fish.

It's cycling now. The cycling process with salt and live rock is new to me. The live rock they sell at this store is fully cured, and they also had some available from a customers tank that was broken down that was fully aged with coralline algae. I stocked with half and half of those two types. According to the guy at the store with that type of rock the cycle would only take about a week. Normally I wouldn't believe that but he's not just a normal LFS buffoon he has a bunch of personal tanks himself. And after doing some research it looks like thats not that far fetched, depending on the quality of the rock, im hoping with the kind I have it will be quick. It's been almost a week and it's only been at .25ppm of ammonia for the last couple days, so there cant have been much die off. Any of this making any sense to you salt guys? lol

I understand that a live-rock cycle is not like a fish-less cycle where you add all the stock at once, you add things very gradually and let the bacteria build up correct?

Here's a quick pic of having just set it up. There will be many more better pictures to come of course. I welcome any advice you guys have!

"At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

3 Not allowed!
    hey nice setup, I am just starting my first reef tank as well. once your ammonia is gone and your nitrites are very close to 0 you can add some coral. that's what I just did I added some softies and LPS, just watch your nitrates with some corals. I want to do a nano reef once I get good at SW or more familiar I should say. I am subbed, I wanna see where this goes... if you want you can check out my journal in my sig.

3 Not allowed!
    Yay another SW tank journal to follow and learn from.
    75g- Tetra, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Blue Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

4. Default

4 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to post a couple quick new photo's. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tank was ready to go on Friday. I don't think it really had to cycle much because the rock was already cycled. Had 0 readings across the board and some nice diatom growth. Added a few snails and crabs plus a couple small softies. Didn't want to spend a ton in case it doesn't work lol.

Today it seems to be holding stable and the Coral seems happy. This is all really neat so far, cant wait to see where it goes!

"At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, the coral looks fab! I will be following this with interest as I would love a SW tank but know nothing about them! What inverts are you going to get??
    Is waiting for her nedlets to hatch...

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Looking great that rock is definitely well matured just going by all the coralline algae on it.

Just bear in mind coralline algae eats magnesium that's one of the main 3 elements in a marine aquarium and once it gets to low it can cause other elements to precipitate out of solution (milky looking water) as well as moody corals frequent waterchanges will keep ontop of this.

Also being such a small aquarium parameters are likely to swing a bit I would say keep a tight shedule on waterchanges.

If you decide to go into LPS then you will need to monitor calcium and Alk as well.

I'll be following this thread.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - Wolfgang Thanks for the tetra and TGIF to you ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on starting your cycle! - ah00471 Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7 Congrats -- the first inhabitants due to move into your cycled tank! - RiversGirl 
    Hoping everything works out and you get delivery of your fish tomorrow.  I empathize with your stress and concern for the health and safety of the fish. - SueD Sorry for you UPS screw up, have a clover for some luck tomorrow ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep--glad to help! - WhistlingBadger Thanks for the heads up about TWS - steeler58 Congrats on all your new fish! - RiversGirl 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar 

0 Not allowed!
    Does the filter/jet give off enough water flow and current? I have been eyeing the Fluval Evo 12 but have not done a lot of research yet. As much as I love SW fish the $$$ is an issue. But I love to watch all the corals and think that a nano tank could be very relaxing. I wonder about the filter...can you buy replacements or parts?
    Last edited by Silbar; 07-04-2016 at 08:41 PM.

8. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Filter wise you don't want the foams ect in there as they cause high nitrates in marine. The biological media is the rock so as long as you have flow all will be fine.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
    Looking great that rock is definitely well matured just going by all the coralline algae on it.

Just bear in mind coralline algae eats magnesium that's one of the main 3 elements in a marine aquarium and once it gets to low it can cause other elements to precipitate out of solution (milky looking water) as well as moody corals frequent waterchanges will keep ontop of this.

Also being such a small aquarium parameters are likely to swing a bit I would say keep a tight shedule on waterchanges.

If you decide to go into LPS then you will need to monitor calcium and Alk as well.

I'll be following this thread.
    How often and how much would you recommend? Im getting premixed RedSea water from my LFS that has all the calcium and other things in it the coral needs. In a tank this small I cant see needing to make my own. And im sure I will end up with some LPS eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Does the filter/jet give off enough water flow and current? I have been eyeing the Fluval Evo 12 but have not done a lot of research yet. As much as I love SW fish the $$$ is an issue. But I love to watch all the corals and think that a nano tank could be very relaxing. I wonder about the filter...can you buy replacements or parts?
    The flow seems fine, they designed it with a flow increasing nozzle for the Saltwater version, the coral def wiggles in the water flow. I don't know if I will end up needing a powerhead, do they make small enough ones for a tank this size? As for the filter, it's really just a built in sump with an overflow. It uses a pump that you put in yourself, don't see why you couldn't just buy another pump if the the one you get let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
    Filter wise you don't want the foams ect in there as they cause high nitrates in marine. The biological media is the rock so as long as you have flow all will be fine.
    Really? There is some foam and biological media in the built in sump by default. It looks like this, the top part is carbon, I left that out. Should I take the whole filter out? If so what do I put in there?

Do-bettas-need-a-filter-diagram-2.png

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Remove the foam and add more biological media biohome is good media I use it.

As for a waterchange that all depends on stock and consumption and nutrient levels and every system is different but 10% weekly is not a bad amount.