· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default A 65 gallon freshwater community tank

0 Not allowed!
    Background: As a kid/teenager, I had two tropical aquariums, a 5 and a 20. I stocked them with most of the typical 'easy' fish over quite a few years. They were packed up when I moved out, and a decade later, I have the aquarium itch again. In some ways, I'm a complete newbie, and in others, possibly rather experienced. It'll all depend on how much I can recall. My approach has been to move forward quite slowly, Googling like crazy each time a decision has to be made.

Equipment: 65 gallon tank (36 long, 18 depth, 24 height), Eheim 2217, Jager 250W heater, glass canopy, Marineland LED planted tank fixture.
    Chemicals: API test kit, Stress Coat (due to many years being comfortable with it, but will try Prime once I'm cycled), Excel plant fertilizer, Safe Start Plus (see below!)

Project goals:
    Plants- well planted, the plants forming the background and majority of the decor if possible. Will focus on 'easy' plants since I don't have CO2 (yet) and am not terribly experienced with plants. Do have high end plant lighting though.
    Fish- angels and tetras are a definite. Probably corys. My wife wants to pick some fish too. I have been using aqadvisor.com to keep our stocking ideas in check.

Current progress:
    Stand and tank placed and levelled, equipment rinsed and installed, substrate rinsed and added, small rock formation siliconed together. Water is being added.

Measurements:
    Tap water: pH 8.6, ammonia 0.5, nitrites 0, nitrates 0
    No tank measurements yet, just finished filling it before hitting the sack last night :)

Mopani wood:
    I've been soaking some mopani in a bucket for about 5 days. The acidifying action of the wood is desirable since my tap water is alkaline, but I want to ensure it won't crash the tank dramatically either. I've started measuring pH. After 12 hours of soaking: 7.4. After 24 hours of soaking: 7.2.

Substrate:
    As you can see from the photo, even my thoroughly rinsed Seachem Flourite got ridiculously cloudly last night during filling. This morning, it is much clearer, but still has a ways to go. There's also thin film of dustiness over the top of the subtrate, I'm considering siphoning some of it off.

Next steps:
    * Planting
    * Add mopani
    * Cycling

As for cycling, I bought Safe Start Plus, before reading all the controversy. The shopkeeper assured me it was a top-notch way to go about cycling a tank. From everything I've read, it seems that the product gets a BB colony fully working within hours and they suggest adding fish right away. The reason being, I assume, is without fish, there won't be a source of ammonia to keep it alive. If I start my cycle with SS+, I will either have to add fish really fast (defying the fishless cycle process I wished to undertake), or find myself a bottle of pure ammonia. (LFS [Big Al's] doesn't carry any!) Comments definitely welcome on this issue.

Suggestions in general most certainly welcomed.
    tankfill.jpg
    mopani.jpg

1 Not allowed!
    You do appear to be on the right track. Your general setup is a spitting image of my planted tank, and you also seem to be taking it in the same direction.

You will have to try to achieve a balance between your lights, nutrient levels and co2. Your high light fixture will mean that you have to supplement co2 and plant fertilizer unless you dim them somehow. One factor cannot compensate for another, it's like the "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" saying.

I know that some people use it, but I don't trust bacteria in a bottle products. The nitrifying bacteria in our tanks is aerobic(needs oxygen), and does not have a dormant stage. I cannot see how it could be bottled for months or years and then still be viable.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post

I know that some people use it, but I don't trust bacteria in a bottle products. The nitrifying bacteria in our tanks is aerobic(needs oxygen), and does not have a dormant stage. I cannot see how it could be bottled for months or years and then still be viable.
    Spot on, agree 100%
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a local Ace Hardware, that seems to be a good spot still to find ammonia
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm curious...so, I know some bacteria create spores to propagate in environments that aren't immediately ideal (botulism, for example). Is it possible that our bacteria are spore-producers, and thus able to live in a dormant stage? Does anyone know the names of the bacteria?

Ok, a little hijacked, but it's still under the realm of "does Safe Start work" lol.

Your set up sounds like my dream set up, btw. PLEASE keep us updated with pictures!!
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacterias

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For future reference, I'm located in Canada. I have a Big Al's and a Petsmart a stone's throw from my house, so those will be my main haunts. As it turns out, there is indeed an Ace hardware within driving distance, but 30+ minutes out of town. I have Rona, Lowes, Home Depot, and Canadian Tire close at hand however.

madagascariensis, I am aware that the nutrients+CO2+light balance can be held back by any one thing, and that my light will not elevate growth beyond what is made possible by the other things. (ie. it'll go better when I get co2) However, your recommendation to try to dim my light gave me pause. Are you saying that one can over-illuminate plants, to their detriment?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Azurescriber, thanks :) I've dreamed of getting a tank like this, and re-entering the hobby, for over a year now.

The SS+ product is proprietary, and they won't tell you exactly how it works. But it could be along the lines of what you suggested. A 'use by' date is printed on the bottle so it won't last forever (and lends it some legitimacy over other bateria-in-bottle products). Allegedly, there is a variety of other kinds of bacteria in there, that support the main ones, and as some die off, it feeds the remaining ones. Proprietary though, so the principle can't really be proven. I think I will seek out ammonia and do a proper cycle rather than follow the directions on the bottle - although I may still toss the SS+ in there to see if it speeds things along.

0 Not allowed!
    Take a trip out to the Ace hardware, plan it so that you can make the trip worthwhile by maybe taking care of other tasks along the route...here is what you want:

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    you could also call ahead to see if they carry it. you can order online but you have to order a bulk 6 pack or something which is way more than you could probably ever use.
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!