· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DM's 20L

Default DM's 20L

2 Not allowed!
    I thought I would start the journal for this tank now since I don't want to make things confusing by discussing the build on my other threads. So far, this tank has:

Glass versa top
    AC30 filter.. I will add another
    Fluval heater
    Nat. Geo. programmable light
    Caribsea sand in Sunset gold
    2 crypt becketti
    2 red ludwigia

I dosed ammonia for the first time 5 days ago and tested today. It is at about 2ppm. I am planning to add Rummynose tetras, Emperor tetras and pygmy cories. Perhaps one other shoal but not sure yet. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
    DM's 20g high - journal

1 Not allowed!
    I am trying to decide a background for the tank so I bought a few different options.

uploadfromtaptalk1453594660468.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453594677206.jpguploadfromtaptalk1453594686057.jpg

I think I know which way I'm leaning but I would love to hear the opinion of all of you here.
    DM's 20g high - journal

1 Not allowed!
    I think I like the second one best
    But it's going to fill in and look so different down the road, so kind of hard to pick one just yet
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I think I like the second one best
    But it's going to fill in and look so different down the road, so kind of hard to pick one just yet
    Thanks Matt.. I agree. I'm surprised that I like both blue colors better than the grey but I think the grey looks too close to the black on my other tanks. Plus, I really like the blue with the lighter colored sand in this tank. I have been trying to buy more plants but both lfs in town are right out of plants at the moment.
    DM's 20g high - journal

1 Not allowed!
    Use the color YOU want, you are the one who will be looking at the tank the most, so do what you like!

Uh-oh, 30 grand approaches more quickly than I thought it would, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

1 Not allowed!
    Hubby likes the light blue (pic #1) best and I like the darker blue (pic #2) best. So, it will be one of the two of those. There's no need for me to pick one now so I'm going to wait and see when I'm able to grab more plants and finish scaping the tank. The nice thing about not painting the tank is I can always change it!
    DM's 20g high - journal

1 Not allowed!
    Any chance you can paint the back or use some kind of gel to make the background stick to the glass and make the back brighter? Also, thoughts on putting the heater below where the driftwood is to hide it?

I like the second one as well. The darker colors make the plants/fish stand out more, imo.

Nice start so far.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the Rep - Strider199 Have a tetra for the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep! - Wolfgang Thanks for the tetra and TGIF to you ;-) - steeler58 
    Congrats on starting your cycle! - ah00471 Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7 Congrats -- the first inhabitants due to move into your cycled tank! - RiversGirl Hoping everything works out and you get delivery of your fish tomorrow.  I empathize with your stress and concern for the health and safety of the fish. - SueD Sorry for you UPS screw up, have a clover for some luck tomorrow ;-) - steeler58 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar 

2 Not allowed!
    Surprisingly, I like the darker blue better than the grey, too. It also makes your substrate stand out. Like Matt said, go with what you like the best and Think about how your choice in fish will look with each background. The Rummys will really pop with the darker blue.
    75G , 75G, 20L,10G, 20G and 5.5G

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Any chance you can paint the back or use some kind of gel to make the background stick to the glass and make the back brighter? Also, thoughts on putting the heater below where the driftwood is to hide it?

I like the second one as well. The darker colors make the plants/fish stand out more, imo.

Nice start so far.
    Right now, the poster board is not even cut to fit the tank as I'm just trying to get an idea of what each color will look like. Once it's cut, it should sit better against the glass. I'm not a fan of painting the glass because I like the option of being able to change the background if I'm so inclined. As for the heater, it will eventually be hidden better. One I'm able to find more plants, I will be doing a bit of rescaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Surprisingly, I like the darker blue better than the grey, too. It also makes your substrate stand out. Like Matt said, go with what you like the best and Think about how your choice in fish will look with each background. The Rummys will really pop with the darker blue.
    TBH, if I can get the plants I want, the background may be only slightly visible.. lol. But, I do like the darker blue.. a lot! That was my favorite from the start and is most likely what I will go with.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the Rep - Strider199 Have a tetra for the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep! - Wolfgang Thanks for the tetra and TGIF to you ;-) - steeler58 
    Congrats on starting your cycle! - ah00471 Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7 Congrats -- the first inhabitants due to move into your cycled tank! - RiversGirl Hoping everything works out and you get delivery of your fish tomorrow.  I empathize with your stress and concern for the health and safety of the fish. - SueD Sorry for you UPS screw up, have a clover for some luck tomorrow ;-) - steeler58 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar 

3 Not allowed!
    Go with your gut and like you said, you can always change it to suit you and the fish
    75G , 75G, 20L,10G, 20G and 5.5G