· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 765 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Slap's 40B

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Slap's 40B

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning everyone!

I have been a member of the AC since April of this year, so I still consider myself a beginner, compared to the majority of the fine people here. However, over the course of the last few months, I have learned a TON of good info from those people, largely from a thread I started about a little 10 gallon tank that I was helping my daughter out with: (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111494)

Thanks to my many friends here, that little (overstocked, I admit) tank is healthy and thriving, all because of the great advice I've received from the people of the AC, and I am much obliged to every one of you guys. I had a lot of fun learning about proper fishkeeping techniques and watching that little tank progress.

So MUCH fun, in fact, I'm ready now for a tank of my own! I picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank at the Petco $1/gallon sale, and that is why i am starting this thread/journal. I will have A LOT of questions, and will want A LOT of comments and suggestions and opinions from all of my friends here at the AC.

I have decided on using an Eheim 2215 canister filter, a Hydor inline filter, and I'm going to want bubbles. I like the bubbles I am going to use a glass lid and an LED light fixture. These things I am certain of.

What I'm NOT certain of yet: what substrate to use; how I am going to decorate the tank; what stocking plan I'm going to use: real plants/artificial plants/no plants?; and a few other details...THAT'S where I'm hoping you guys can help me out with comments and suggestions.

But first things first...I gotta have a stand to put the tank on, correct?....After looking at the box store stands that are out there, I wasn't very impressed with any of them, so I borrowed a plan that one of my good friends here, gronlaura, found on the internet, and built my own...it is very similar to a pair of stands that gronlaura is building for herself, and with the help of my next door neighbor, I got it built a few days ago...here's a pic:

I am going to prime and paint the stand, starting hopefully this evening, and then I plan on walling in the sides and front, while leaving the back open. I am not certain which type of wood I'm going to use yet (ply or solid), but it will be painted black....There will be a door on the front to access my filter/air pump/etc. under the stand...nothing fancy or heirloom quality about the stand, like some really nice ones I've seen here, but it will be functional and one that I am pleased with.

OK, I'm SO excited about this project!....I am doing it for many reasons, but the main one is the FUN it will be, for me and all you guys here that will take this awesome journey with me!

Thank you all for reading this (too long) beginning of what I hope will be a HAPPY, FUN, and REWARDING experience for any and all who wish to ride along with me!

M-
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    THERE IT IS!!!!! Heck Yeah, Bud! great start, l00kin' g00d s0 far man, will be watching like a hawk.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    finally... lets see the build start

Here are my thoughts:

You need to decide the following:
    Fake or live plants? Gronlaura has a wonderful looking tank with fake plants, if you go that route I just recommend doing so with real looking plants like she did
    Sand or No Sand? I recommend either PFS or Black Diamond. Depending on color you want
    Rock, Driftwood, or both for hardscape?
    Fish you want to build stock around

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    THERE IT IS!!!!! Heck Yeah, Bud! great start, l00kin' g00d s0 far man, will be watching like a hawk.
    Thanks sir, welcome aboard!

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Yoohoo! Finally a new tank! Before you decide on decorations, plants or rocks, and substrate, decide on the fish you want. Their specific requirements will tell you whether or not to use sand or gravel, plants or not, etc.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post

Here are my thoughts:

Fake or live plants? Gronlaura has a wonderful looking tank with fake plants, if you go that route I just recommend doing so with real looking plants like she did
    Sand or No Sand? I recommend either PFS or Black Diamond. Depending on color you want
    ++ t0 that !!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Yoohoo! Finally a new tank! Before you decide on decorations, plants or rocks, and substrate, decide on the fish you want. Their specific requirements will tell you whether or not to use sand or gravel, plants or not, etc.
    True, my list of questions really didn't mean to be an order... just kinda spat out the major design questions all at once. If you have a particular look you want, determine deco first then fish to fit it, if you have a certain fish you want, then thats priority

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post

Here are my thoughts:

Hey Hardy85!

I LIKE live plants, just haven't had great luck with them, even Java fern
    Sand or substrate?...man, i just am having the hardest time with this...I saw someone's tank on here with some tiny natural pebbles, that I think she got from Walmart (!), that I really liked...but sand looks so good too...that part is really killing me.
    I want rocks AND driftwood, for sure...is fake driftwood too "fakey"?...the real stuff seems like such a PITA, from whatt I've read.
    Fish?...I want some with gills, that's how far I've gotten with THAT one

So you see, I'm gonna need all the help I can get LOL

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    LOl Hardy, I wasn't posting against you, your post wasn't there when I started typing. I'm holding my 4 month old grandson with one hand and typing with the other. Makes for some seriously slow typing on my part. Personally I start with fish choices and move on from there, but there are lots of people who do it the other way around with great success and there is nothing wrong with that. The main point is research first regardless of what method you choose.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Good point, thanks ma'am!...YES, we are about to get rolling!