· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 20 gallon tall tank journal - The Aquascaping Frontier

2 Not allowed!
    This is a brief history of the evolution of the aquascaping of my tank from the time i got it at the end of September.

Equipment and substrate -
    Aqueon 20 filter with round sponge intake cover - existing
    Aqueon 30 filter with round sponge intake cover - existing
    Colbalt 75w Neo therm heater - new (temp is kept between 80 and 81.1 F)
    River gravel - existing
    Floramax substrate by Caribsea - new
    2 Marineland Double Bright LED Fixtures - Existing and surprised they both fit on top of the aquarium

Ferts outside of the Floramax - all are liquid and are dosed at least Every other day and always on water change day.
    Seachem Organic Carbon
    Seachem Comprehensive
    Seachem Iron Suppliment

Plants
    Narrowleaf java fern
    Anubias nana
    Red Wendii
    Cryptocorene Lutens
    B. Caroliniana
    Water Wysteria
    Anacharis
    Mossball

Inhabitants -
    8 harlequin rasbora - primary school
    3 paskai's blue eye rainbowfish recently added secondary school (i'm trying to get 3 more to finish the school)
    3 cory cats (1 each julii, bronze, and peppered)
    10 or so shrimp (cherry, blueberry, amano aka algae eating)
    2 nerite snails

Deceased inhabitants - 1 German blue ram male due to all the aquascaping reworking i was doing

The below picture is my first aquascaping attempt.

It looked good but there was, in my mind room for improvement. The banana plant didn't fit with what I wanted to do in the tank, and neither did the dwarf hairgrass pieces. In later pictures both of those plants are gone. At this time the only plants other than those two i had were the anacharis, b caroliniana, the anubias nana, both varieties of crypto, and the java fern.

The above picture is one of my middle of the road reworkings (i did about 5-7 before I got the final result that I wanted.) . The problem with this version ended up being that the driftwood was too close to the front glass of the tank. Also items looked too symetrical and not natural enough. At this time I added some water wysteria plantings in the background of the tank.

Above is the next to the last rework. The problem with this one was i only had one piece of Driftwood in the tank, and it was up against the glass. I was advised in the long run this wouldn't look very asthetically pleasing. I had spread out the crypto, anacharis, wysteria, and b caroliniana at this time, however it still looked too symetrical.

Above is the final rework. I lost my german blue ram around this time due to all the moving around of plants I had been doing. He'd been under so much stress that this was inevitable. I liked him alot but now i can expand out my shrimp colony since i no longer have the chance of him eating my shrimp. I was actually expecting him not to make it due to all the changes from what another forum member told me. They advised I should have added him LAST. Unfortunately he was the FIRST fish that I added. In this picture you can see both of my light fixtures. I had one of them turned on to the lower setting at the time that I took this picture so it's not the full light that I have. I think the box said each fixture produces 450 lumens (i forget the exact verbage). With both of these i think that makes my light capability Moderate. I like how I was able to stack both pieces of driftwood (one medium and one small) and make it look like a natural tree trunk. The java fern will grow the roots over both pieces and help stablize the two pieces.

I wasn't considering adding rainbowfish as a second school til i saw the Paskai's Red rainbowfish at Jacks aquarium. They don't get any bigger than 1.5 inches and are A/B compatible and perfect for my tank. I have a couple feelers out for their cousins the Paskai's Blue eyed rainbowfish to finish out the school. Trying to get three more of them in to make it a school of 6. One of my LFS stated if it was available they'd be in on Tuesday, meaning due to my work schedule I'd probably pick them up sometime Wednesday afternoon before work.

I look forward to the day when all of my plants fill out to provide my fish more cover. I haven't noticed any melt that I can say is truly melt on my crypto varieties, as one is red wendii i can't confirm if it's melt or just the leaves changing color due to the access to light. I also like how my schools usually chase each other around the tank, although the rainbowfish tend to steer clear of the Harlequin Rasboras as they just got added and are a bit more shy.

I was advised to get an adhesive background for my tank to hide the wires and cords. Unfortunately even if I did that it would be a little hard to put on unless i cut it in half and did half at a time. I can't move the table that the tank is on, nor can I move the tank since it's been filled. At this time I don't mind being able to see the wires and cords as there's not too many of them, but I do understand where they were coming from when mentioning the suggestion.

I hope to continue this journal in the future. Maybe in another month or two i'll post a picture reflecting on how the plants are doing.

Thanks for reading.

20 gallon tall - 3 paskai's neon red rainbow, 5 paskai's blue eyed rainbowfish, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your tank evolve'

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickellmama27 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing your tank evolve'
    I'm also looking forward to seeing it evolve. I hope it turns out as well as I think it will.

20 gallon tall - 3 paskai's neon red rainbow, 5 paskai's blue eyed rainbowfish, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    talked to one of my LFS today. they said they are getting a dozen paskai's blue eyed rainbows in. I have three right now, instead of just getting another three i may get 5 of them to makeit a school of eight. So both of the schools would be eight fish total.

I noticed my paskai's red rainbowfish schooling with my rasboras so this should work out well.

I'll have my remaining fish tomorrow. if they are in stock, they'll be in the tanks before they open tomorrow. I really hope they got them.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I do understand that my small rainbowfish will only live about a ear or so. but that's fine. The fish are pretty, and if i can give them a good home for their short life i'm happy.

I hope that they are in tomorrow.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    So sad that these little fish have such a short lifespan: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75097201,d.cGU
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    So sad that these little fish have such a short lifespan: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75097201,d.cGU
    I know Steeler58. If i had read up on this before hand i probably would have put a school of white cloud minnows to go in my shrimp tank as it's one of the most recommended to be with shrimp. My harlequin rasboras are already on the list as well. Thankfully i was smart in choosing these rainbows for their size and compatibility though.

Fish are awesome.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

8. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I broke down and got a backing today for my aquarium. I had to cut it in half since i had to be able to get it on the tank. I did pretty good. there's just a sliver of a noticeable seam where i cut it in half. But i think i lined it up pretty good. It's a top fin cling model. I think what helped is that there was a bridge for me to reference. I used scotch tape to secure what little overage i had. Left it there on purpose in case i ever needed to remove it.

The shrimps weren't happy earlier because the one filter i removed to do this operation was the aqueon 20 because it's smaller and eaiser to move.

Anyhow below is the picture I took of it. Image is resized so click to see the full picture.

Hope you guys enjoy. The time and money we spend for our fish, they would think their tanks are gold plated lol.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got 2 blue ninja shrimp today and 5 paskai's Blue Eyed rainbows today. Final Stocking:
    8 Harlequin rasboras
    8 Paskai's Rainbows (Blue eyed and red neon)
    2 nerite snails
    6 Cherry shrimp that i know of
    2 ninja shrimp - i can see one visibly
    3 cory cats (one each bronze, peppered, and julii)

i did a 2.5 gallon water pull before i put the new fish in today and fed them afterwards with flake food.

Hopefully my shrimp start breeding in my tank. would love for that to happen.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Tank looks really nice. Congrats on the new inhabitants.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"