· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

View Poll Results: What would you suggest?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • can I do a native tank at 75 degrees?

1 5.26%
  • goldfish

2 10.53%
  • tetras!

8 42.11%
  • fish only saltwater

5 26.32%
  • make a suggestion below

3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default 72 Gal Bowfront restart

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all

Finally got the 72gal out and moved to its permanent location in the "new" house. I've not quite been here a year yet, and I think the furniture is finally all where it's going to live.

I still have a ten gallon and 50 gallon tank in the closet, but I think I may sell the 50gal off, along with some stuff. I think the 72 (4') and 20gal long are all I am going to keep from now on.

Now that the 72 placement has been decided, I'm of course thinking about what to put in it. Its going to be a winter project, so I really have all the time in the world to start up. This will be the most leisurely tank start I have ever done, with the most pre-planning.

So its a 72 gal bowfront, 4ft long. It has a Current 4 tube fluorescent fixure with moonlights and a timer, and will have an eheim 2217 and an ac110 on it. Inline hydror heater. I was fishing with family over the weekend and picked up some driftwood for it. I am thinking heavily planted with lowlight plants if I go FW. FOWL if I go SW.

But I really have no idea what I am going to put in it.

One day I think I'll go native local species (pumpkinseed, shiners, crawfish, clams) with sand and local plants) - but my house temperature would be 75 in the summer and I don't think they would do well with that? I really would like to go that route tho.
    Next day I think a fish only SW tank.
    Then I think a goldfish tank...then I think a cichlid tank.
    Then...an all tetra tank with two or three big schools, and maybe a singleton or two.

And those are what I've narrowed my choices down to!

I have months to decide, but I'd be interested in what you guys would suggest.

72gal 028 (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by sheamurai; 09-28-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    Love that driftwood!

0 Not allowed!
    I would say FOWLR.

You could have two dwarf lionfish, like a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra) or Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus) , and two of the smaller(ish) butterflys like Pearlscale Butterflyfish (Chaetodon xanthurus) or Burgess' Butterflyfish (Chaetodon burgessi).

Or, you could go for a more aggressive set-up with a school of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema), and a center pc fish like a Maroon Clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus). This type of set-up is a little risky, but would look really nice and be very active.

The down side to this is that you would most likely have to drive to Toronto to get them

Just a few things to think about
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I would vote for a cichlid tank, but you said that you really want to go native, so I will vote that you follow your heart. And that DW does look great, as does the background.

0 Not allowed!
    Being as there is almost nothing in the way of fish stores in my new location, a trip or two to Barrie or TO - or maybe Ottawa? is a given.

Thanks for the suggestions, Cliff, I will look at those.

and Thanks Nickellmama!

SMB - I would like to do the native tank, but I think my tank gets too warm in the summer for them...I am hoping someone with experience with them will chime in, it is very possible they would acclimate well to warmer temps, as shallow waters could very well be that warm too.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 09-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Tetras, tetras, teras...and more tetras...you could have congos!!!

Did I mention tetras?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    lol, why Slap, I'm shocked that you would suggest tetras!
    maybe a nice platy tank...?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

4 Not allowed!
    Platys?!?!?!?! Noooooo!!!

Tetras!...yeah, tetras!!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Some sw tanks have chillers... is that something that could be used for you to regulate the temp for a native tank?

0 Not allowed!
    yes...but not interested in the extra cost...I'm all about low tech fishkeeping!