· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bolivian rams show their mature colors a little later than their counterparts like GBRS, goldens etc, once they do they're pretty nice IME, like Sandz suggested, the Tetra bits will increase the red coloration, you can also try feeding some NLS, don't worry, everything that is good in this hobby happens over time.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojosodope View Post
    don't worry, everything that is good in this hobby happens over time.
    And that's why I love it..... If the only problem you have in this hobby is that you must wait, then your tanks must be okay.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to nls my gbr loves it and she (I think?) has really nice colors.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have really hard water here too. Can be upwards of 8.5. I have Bolivian Rams and although they're not as brilliant as Blue's, I hope that will change. I've only had them a few days I love their character though, what personality!

They do fine in our hard water, actually, I think most fish acclimate well, as long as the nutrients are in check and the PH is stable. The Bolivian's are known to be tough too, whereas I've read the Blue's are much more sensitive to PH, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    I have to agree with Brandflake that Bolivians are wonderful little rams. They aren't too smart I don't think, lol, as they are very slow to see or go to food (I have to target feed mine or he would never eat), but I do think you'll be mad at yourself if you get rid of him. I'm very attached to mine. I have 7.6-7.8 PH most of the time, and my ram has never been much other than gray/black with the slightest pinkish tinge to the tips of his fins. I got him when he was around 1.5 inch long. Now, about six or so months later, he's close to 3 inches long, and his coloring has not changed. He must be at least 9 months old by now. But, to me, his laid back, mellow, sweet and personable personality make up for lack of color. I'd rather have a fish that I like as far as temperament goes than the most colorful fish in the world that might be nothing but a trouble causer and not people friendly, but that's me. I wouldn't get a blue ram myself, as they are much harder to keep happy, and a lot more fragile than the sturdy Bolivians. Even a lot of experienced people can't seem to keep them successfully.

I've heard of people having blue rams in PH of around 7.6 or so, but they generally prefer lower PH waters, which you don't have. You might be setting yourself up for failure with one. I was going to try one at one point, but after reading about them, I decided on the Bolivian.

I'm gathering my Bolivian is not quite full grown yet, so he may color up more, I don't know. I also have a Kribensis whom I also love, but is more hyper and not as personable as the Bolivian. She is VERY colorful though, and doesn't bother a single fish in my 55 gal. tank. This is why I only have one cichlid each (I have three kinds). This way, they don't breed, so therefore aggression is usually non existent. I also have either a L. curviceps, or more likely, a L. dorsigera that was labeled as an Apisto at my LFS. All three are fine with each other--I've never even seen one nip at another, which is pretty impressive. I like a peaceful tank over all else! I have various Rainbowfish, a giant Danio, Cherry barbs, White cloud Minnows, platies, balloon mollies, a male guppy and a cory in that tank, and they all seem very happy. All were thoroughly researched as to PH and water and temperature preferences before I purchased them. The only problem is the minnows, as they prefer cooler temps than the others, and I found that out AFTER buying them. But they seem very happy at 76F, which is a happy medium.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    This is a 3mo old thread...
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's