· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Betta not eating?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys! Well... I'm not 100% sure that he's not eating exactly, but in the nearly 3 weeks I've had him I haven't seen him eat or go for (his) food. He's tried to nibble on the algae wafer I put in for the oto's back when they were all in quarantine together but I haven't seen him go for either of the food types I've gotten for him and I'm a bit worried. I mean, he doesn't look like he's starving but... since I haven't seen him eat and all of his food either gets sucked into the filter at a certain level or ends up on the bottom/in the gravel or eaten by the Cory cats...

Is there something I could do to make him eat? or at least make sure he eats?
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    What are you trying to feed him? Have you tried different kinds of foods? Could they be in chunks too big for him to get his mouth around?
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My betta refused all food for the first 2 weeks, no matter what food I tried. He would look, but that'ss all. I even called the lfs to see what they had been feeding him and got the same food, but no luck. If you've tested the water quality and see no problems its possible he's still acclimating to his surroundings. Do you notice if he's getting bullied at all? Is the water temp 80-82? Is there too much surface aeration for him to get to the food? Bettas like to eat on or very close to the surface. You could also try chopping up the food if it looks like its too big for him. My betta now really likes New Life Spectrum Betta pellets. Make sure you get his attention and try and drop one at a time in front of him, that might help. Also, as long as he still is active and doesn't look skinny (even from the top), it might still be that he is either acclimating or just eating when you can't see him. If you really think he's not eating any of the food, make sure you vacuum the gravel very well to avoid poor water quality.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've tried TopFin Color Enhancing Betta Bits and TetraBetta Plus. The TetraBetta are smaller and more appropriately sized, but he doesn't seem interested and I don't know how to break the others without making them just either too powdery or sink automatically. He is still acting shy though (my cory cats are often more flashy than he is and swarm to the front when I walk over to check on them and he hides in the back). He isn't "bullied" really, it's just him and the corys (was him and a pair of otos). Only real interaction they've had was when he tried to take over the castle and kick out the corys. My alpha cory Ringo chased him around pestering him for about 10 minutes and then they apparently settled their differences. There's no real water disturbances at the top aside from the filter and 2 "fine mist" bubblers but they're very minimal (and I turn them off sometimes and there's no difference in the foods floating abilities.)

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried frozen worms and shrimp? Something a bit closer to their natural foods might tempt him.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    He is still acting shy though.
    He isn't "bullied" really, it's just him and the corys (was him and a pair of otos). Only real interaction they've had was when he tried to take over the castle and kick out the corys. My alpha cory Ringo chased him around pestering him for about 10 minutes and then they apparently settled their differences.
    Question: How do you know they've settled their "differences" and he isn't eating because he is intimidated by the cory - just wondering. I'm guessing he might be eating after lights out? I assume your water parameters are good?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Because they're now sharing the castle that they were fighting over. He sleeps toward the top of it and they sleep resting on the floor of it. He could be eating at night, or he may be eating what's trapped on the edge of the filter (I noticed a few pieces that were there last night weren't there this morning and I'm not sure if he or one of the corys ate it or if the filter just sucked it in.)

I'll keep my eyes open for frozen worms or shrimp when I'm at the store today, maybe that will encourage him to eat.

0 Not allowed!
    I would think that after several weeks of not eating, it might appear thin and listless - you're good to keep on eye on him and try other things that might appeal to him.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think part of the issue is he's kinda... stuck on the back wall... He's not flaring or anything, but I think his reflection is fascinating him so he's not really noticing food. It's a bit of a problem cuz I can't feed back there because my tank doesn't have an opening for food or anything else.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Try turning off the filter when feeding to give him more time to get at the food before the filter interferes. My Betta likes omega one betta pellet. I feed one at a time making sure he has had enough chew time before putting in another pellet.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.