· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation what's wrong with my Cardinal Tetra?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi folks, I'm worried about one of my cardinal tetras. Its swimming funny, with its head down and tail-end up and its doing jerky forward movements. Here is a link to a video of it on youtube (can i post a video here? i dont know). Once the platy moves out of the way you will see it. You will get a good view at about 15 seconds in.

Also, I found my molly dead in the tank this morning :( No idea what happened to it, it seemed fine yesterday. I do plenty of water changes and test my water. my ammonia and nitrite is always zero, but my nitrate can get a little high at times, im struggling to get it to come down. I think it averages at around 40 or 50.
    My tank is pretty well stalked but all the fish get on quite well, the molly definitely didnt get bullied.

Any help is appreciated, and the sooner the better, you know?

thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Those nitrates are a little high. How much water do you usually change each week? How often do you clean the substrate ?

I'm not too sure if the nitrate level is related to what is going on with your fish, but it certainly won't help.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my tank is 190 litres and i change about 30 litres per week, sometimes i do 2 water changes a week. I did a water change earlier today and the tetra was fine then.

0 Not allowed!
    That looks exactly like what a White Cloud Mountain minnow of mine got. It started with a slight wobble when swimming and slowly escalated to look like what your unfortunate tetra has. It is most likely a swim bladder problem. The fish is positively buoyant and cannot control its buoyancy, to stay at a certain depth it will have to constantly push downwards like you see.
    Your nitrates are quite high, although I don't think it is high enough to cause an acute problem. Have you fed recently? I have heard of smaller fish sometimes overeating to the point where they somehow compromise their swim bladders. If that is the case, it should go away in a few hours. If it persists for more than a week and you haven't found any cause, then I would recommend euthanasia. Chronic swim bladder problems are highly unlikely to just disappear , and they are a drain on the fish's quality of life.