· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, here's a first attempt. (the background is temporary paper, until I get a piece of laminated card backing). The wood will go on the right.

Close up of left side.

Looking down on it.

Critique?

I think I'll go to my LFS tomorrow evening to look at wood pieces in case anything jumps out at me.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I really do like the effect of depth when looking at the rocks from the front.

Once you have plants and driftwood in there, it should look stunning
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Well I went to the LFS (again!) tonight to pick out a piece of wood. Got a really nice one for £20 which is a bargain compared to some of their pieces in there. I also picked up an extra long/large syphon whilst I was there. I forgot to get a laminated black background though. I have sugar paper taped to the back of it at the moment.

I forgot to take a photo before I filled it so you can't really see the new wood that well (as it has a dirty big rock on top of it right now), but here's the basic scape. It'll look better without the rock obviously, and once the wood darkens. The "arm" of the right-hand piece of wood arcs over and touches the other wood (behind the rock). I'm going to pick off some of the anubias from the old piece and wedge them into the new piece to balance things a bit (also, the old wood almost disappears under the carpet of anubias!

My fish were devastated to lose the established wood from the holding tank! All they have now is a bare bottom tank, half an upturned pot and a huge bunch of floating plants (ready for transferring and planting in a couple of days). Once I take away their floating cover I will leave the lights off all the time and they'll just have natural light. They are all EXTREMELY stressed having been moved to a bare bottom tank with less cover and shade. It just shows how used they get to their surroundings. Hopefully it'll only be a couple of weeks until they can move.

This shot shows the extent of the slope. It will level out over time but I hope it lasts a while. The cories have a habit of busily sifting substrate level over the course of a few months. I'll have to see about planting the terraces with strong rooting hygrophila and a few crypts to plug the gaps.

And a 3/4 shot. Amazing to think that the wood on the left is the same type and will darken to match the other one over a few months.

I'm going to try to keep this as low-tech as I can and limit my fertlising/EasyCarbo (mainly because it's such a huge tank it'll be expensive to dose). So I plan on getting plenty of cryptocoryne plants. I've had my best luck with those. I might also get some giant jungle vals (now I have the height for them!)

If anyone has any suggestions or critique I'm very interested to hear alternative opinions!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I can't believe I missed the beginning of this thread! It must have been a sight, you carrying a big piece of plywood on the bus. The new tank is off to a great start. The only thing I would change is to bring those rocks up to the front a little or move the new driftwood back. The rocks are really neat and you can't see them because the wood is covering them.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I agree. Maybe move the rocks to the middle and frame the wood around them on each side? Anyway, the rocks are such a nice feature that I wouldn't cover them with wood either.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Good points. I only used the rockwork to hold back the substrate - but now you mention it, it would look better if some were used as features. Yes, I agree.

I am loathed to move what I have in there now - but I think I will go and pick up a few more pieces of "show piece" rock to use as suggested, the next time I'm lurking around my LFS. Thanks all

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Firefly, great tank! I am glad to see it all up and running. I will be following intently as this progresses.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

1 Not allowed!
    Quick update.

I planted everything from the 120 last night. I'm quite pleased with how full it looks already and am surprised how far the plants went. I still have a stash of plants in my 30 and 15 litre tanks so those too will go in eventually.

Here's a couple of snaps from a moment ago. I've tried to group the species until it grows in a bit, then I'll soften the borders where they meet/overlap. At least, that's the plan.

Any thoughts...let me know.

0 Not allowed!
    Just took an ammonia test reading. 3ppm! This ADA Amazonia leeches a lot of ammonia!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that is a lot of ammonia, at least it will get the cycle up and running for you and it isn't too much for a tank that large. The scape looks great so far.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.