· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 125g planted tropical community tank journal

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to my 125 gallon journal. This is going to be a rather long journey, but I am going for great results here.

I really don't know where to start here, but I'm going to do my best.

This tank will be planted, using 6 bags of Eco complete and 2 bags of searchem flourite. I will also have a sand area for the comfort of the fish and for the looks. There will be driftwood and some rocks as well.

Dimensions: 6' by 1 1/2' by 21 1/2"
    Filter: eheim classic 600 canister filter
    Lighting: in progress
    Heaters: Yes
    co2: Most likely

Tank currently:
    image.jpg

Now, one question that I've been asking myself is:
    "Is this going to be an aquascape, or will I just put in plants?"
    I want to have a nice looking tank with a specific design to it, so I guess this will be an aquascape to a definite extent. I'm not trying to replicate anything in particular, so the design will just be an idea I thought of.

Here is the stocking of fish that I am positive about keeping:
    25 Cardinal tetras
    20 rummynose tetras
    20 Three lined Pencilfish
    10-12 Sterbai Cories
    10-12 Adolfoi cories
    6-7 farlowella
    6 Siamese algae eaters
    6 German blue rams
    6 zebra/golden zebra loaches
    2-4 Angelfish
    1 pleco(leaning towards a zebra or a gold nugget)

The Angelfish will be my centerpiece, because I have decided against discus. You can guess why, but I'd rather answer in private message rather than talk about it on this journal. I'm going to try to get completely solid color angelfish because I want the centerpieces to stand out. I've heard of pure blue angelfish, and the pictures of them look amazing.

Farlowellas:
    I've had nothing but good results from these in my 55 gallon. This time, I plan to get 6 of the normal "stick catfish" farlowella, and get one Royal Farlowella as a centerpiece to a group.

Of course, the bottom centerpiece will be the pleco. It will have a cave.

The top of the tank will not have a centerpiece fish. I have a beautiful gardneri killifish, but they get kinda aggressive. I don't really want to risk it.

Fish that I want to keep but have concerns about:
    20 Ruby Tetras
    15 Marbled hatchetfish
    15 lambchop rasboras
    10 Coral red pencilfish
    6-8 Congo tetras
    6 Peacock Gudgeons
    6 Licorice gourami
    Synodontis
    (I am not planning to keep all of these at all)

Marbled hatchets:
    Apparently these can jump out, but only when in an extreme circumstance. Being top dwellers, I don't know if I could be comfortable with the risk of them possibly jumping out. I would like to fill the tank with water to almost the very top, and I don't want to put a cover on this tank just for one group of fish.

Ruby Tetras & Lambchop Rasboras & Coral red pencils & Congos
    This has to do with the case of overcrowding the tank. Now, I don't use AqAdvisor to determine my stocking. I judge on how comfortable the fish are, do they have enough swimming room, and is the tank big enough in general. Congo tetras are something that I've always wanted to keep, but they get pretty large. Sure a 125 gallon is plenty for them, but with this many other fish, is the concern. I like the idea of a small school of larger fish, but I just don't know if this would be a smart long-term decision.
    Ruby tetras are stunning and I want to keep them. They look like an excellent addition. I want to either have these, or the coral red pencils. Probably not both. The coral red pencils are a very beautiful fish that I would love to keep as well, but they might interrupt with the other pencilfish. These can be a little aggressive to each other, but with other pencilfish might be something I have to judge myself. They are rather expensive also.
    Lambchop Rasboras look like a smaller version of harlequin Rasboras, and just seem like a nice addition. I will consider these fish last and decide whether or not they would fit in.

Peacock Gudgeons:
    A pretty small fish that I would like to try out.
    Licorice gourami:
    Google it. I never considered these until I knew saw how stunning they got. I'm probably going to choose between peacock Gudgeons & licorice gouramis instead of getting both.

Synodontis:
    I don't know if there are any synodontis that work in a rather peaceful planted tank with water on the more soft side, but please inform me if there are any.

So that's about it, I will be updating whenever something comes up. Feel free to post suggestions, questions, and advice, because it will help me a bunch.
    Last edited by Faded; 08-23-2014 at 08:37 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The hatchets definetly will jump I had 5 I think all jumped out and died.
    The synodinos can has a couple different species in it, I would try a school of upside down catfish or 1 featherfin in there.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and the zebra plecos are about $500-$700 just sayin. :yes:
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Online they range from $100-$160 on one website. There's an LFS I can get them for $200 from. $500-$700 sounds like what you would pay for a female zebra pleco.
    I don't have much of an issue with paying a lot for just one fish, but when it's a bunch of small fish that are expensive that gets me.

All of the big costs are out of the way, now it's going to be mainly the fish and the plants, although I haven't got the co2 regulator yet. Anyways, I don't want to worry about the prices, that can be saved for later when they become an issue.
    The good thing is that I'm not planning to just finish this quickly. I'm going to be fairly busy, so it's going to take about a year for me to say it's "complete".
    Last edited by Faded; 08-24-2014 at 03:51 AM.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Tank is on, and already have the black backing. Progress is being made, driftwood should be ready soon.
    image.jpg
    With cabinets open:
    image.jpg

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
    The synodinos can has a couple different species in it, I would try a school of upside down catfish or 1 featherfin in there.
    Featherfin would get way too huge for a peaceful community, but upside down catfish might be a really decent addition. I'm not sure how they would like softer water, but it's definitely worth acclimating them for a day and seeing how a group of 4 does.
    Thanks for the idea, I'll have to keep these in mind.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing with Ruby tetras is they are so small and shy, they would probably be harrased by the Siamese algae eaters and eaten by the Angels :-(

If your careful like you seem, you can keep Hatchets without a problem.

Red Coral pencils can indeed be terriotorial with their own species but with a tank your size, this could curb that.

Even though Harlequins have always been one of my favorite fish, I realy have come to like Lambchop rasboras and their smaller size and brighter colors.

Congo's are always awesome but still get a little big, which won't matter in your tank, but their always being on the move could bother some of the smaller species.

I like all your choices, have fun stocking, looking forward to seeing it all come together :)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    The only thing with Ruby tetras is they are so small and shy, they would probably be harrased by the Siamese algae eaters and eaten by the Angels :-(

If your careful like you seem, you can keep Hatchets without a problem.

Red Coral pencils can indeed be terriotorial with their own species but with a tank your size, this could curb that.

Even though Harlequins have always been one of my favorite fish, I realy have come to like Lambchop rasboras and their smaller size and brighter colors.

Congo's are always awesome but still get a little big, which won't matter in your tank, but their always being on the move could bother some of the smaller species.

I like all your choices, have fun stocking, looking forward to seeing it all come together :)
    I agree about the ruby tetras. I have seen mixed opinions on whether or not SAEs are aggressive when in groups, but you know, this choice could be made after I have them for some time. Coral reds might just be the better option here. When the angelfish get big, generally fish under an inch dwelling the same area, might just be way too risky.

I may add a glass border on the top because SAEs as well can jump out, so I could be even more safe here with the marbled hatchets.

And I could just keep Congos until I'm uncomfortable with their size, then get my money back since they are worth quite a lot at full size.

Lambchop Rasboras over ruby tetras, and coral reds, is what I'll go with for now.

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I fell in love with the Coral red the first time I saw then 9 years ago, only thing I don't like is; the price has not come down any in that time. I think they would realy top off your tank if you go that route :)

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Nice set up you have going there, I know you didn't post it as one of your concerns but insure you have enough natural barriers set up in this tank, especially for the german blue rams because they can become territorial especially while mating.

Additionally with the Siamese algae eaters, inspect them throughly to confirm they're true siamese algae eaters and not false ones as they can become fairly aggressive.. here's a small article so you can tell the difference.

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummaga...e-eater-id.htm