· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning a Skimmer

0 Not allowed!
    As I have a lot of bright lights on my sump to grow algae, I usually get a lot of green and coralline algae growing everywhere, including in and on my skimmer. That can really effect how well it works so I usually have to clean it about once every two months. The below is what it looks like when I don’t clean it for 3 months

I used to try to clean this off by hand using aquarium brushes and a vinegar solution, but it was far too much effort and I could never get off most of the coralline algae. A follow hobbyist suggest the below method that he used on some of his FW equipment. I put the skimmer in a large container that I also could use for aquarium water.

I fill it with 5 gallons of tap water and one gallon of vinegar. I will set the skimmer in there with the gate value fully closed and the air valve about 50% closed. I will take the cup and cup lid off and set it in the vinegar water mixture as well. Then just let it run for about 2 days

After one day you can see a lot of the algae starting to come off and one the second day, the algae is about 75% gone and has settled on the bottom of the container.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    After taking the skimmer apart, I can easily wipe off the rest of the coriline and algae with ease. This takes an hour(ish) long job into a 10 to 15 minute job and I get far better results.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh thats cool, but doesnt not having the skimmer in for an hour hurt ur tank? Idk anything about sw so sorry if its a stupid question lol
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, it's off the tank for 2 days. As most of the biological filtration comes from all of the live rock, nothing bad happens for only 2 days. If it was off any longer, I could get some water parameter problems, but for only two days, I only see a increase in my nitrates as they will jump up by about 2 to 3 ppm

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    sweet! I'm for any and all tips on how to reduce scrubbing! I'm going to try that on my filters when they get too cruddy for normal rinsing/wiping to work. Thanks for passing that on.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Great method! My sump doesn't get alot of light, no algae to be seen yet, but should it get to the point of needing more then the skimmer cup cleaned I'll follow your method Cliff.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Well it's time to follow that method Cliff. My pin wheel is stopping on occasion so I'm cleaning the whole skimmer in a bucket of r/o water and vinegar as you describe above. Being I have very little wiggle room in my sump it took me over 30 minutes to get the skimmer out. I only made a small mess with the water inside the skimmer during this process. Man I wish the sump was able to be slid out from under the tank on a rolling bolster type set-up.

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch, that does sound like a dirty skimmer alright.

You might want to go very heavy on the vinegar (very heavy) and very light on the water

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The above method worked great. Now after wiping what I can reach, should I run the skimmer in a bucket of just r/o water for awhile to rinse away the remaining vinegar solution which I cant reach?

How bad is it introducing vinegar residue to a sump and tank?

0 Not allowed!
    That or a good rinse under water should work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast