· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Filter Cycle?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Filter Cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you had any idea how long it would take to cycle an Eheim classic canister filter 2213, rated for 66 gallons, when set up to a 20 gallon tank with 1 Molly, 1 Blue Gourami, 1 Polly(Platy x Molly hybrid), and 6 Olive Nerite Snails for the stocking?

Its been set up now for about 2 weeks, but I've had to drain it a couple times due to a fish getting sucked up and another time because it stopped running. I didn't clean it so I don't think I ruined the cycle. The tank gets a 90% wc every week and also has a HOB tetra whisper filter (already cycled) attached that's rated for 30-40 gallons.

I'm cycling it on my 20 gallon as it has more fish and I need it ready ASAP. I want to replace the HOB filters on my apisto tank with it but I have no idea when it will be done being cycled or how to tell.

How long will it take to cycle?

How do I tell if its done cycling?

Is there anything I can do to quicken the cycle?

Will moving the filter to a new tank(after its cycled) destroy the BB even if the water chemistry is near identical?

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just do a fishless cycle on the new tank ?

That might be the easiest way to do it
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    No no, my apisto tank is already set up!! I don't have any empty tanks to do a fishless. I just chose the 20 as its larger, and has more fish. So I supposed it would cycle the tank faster.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 06-29-2013 at 05:50 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    In the past, I have cycled filters by running them on already set-up tanks. I left them running for about 6 weeks. Moving a filter between tanks will not harm the bacteria inside of it. When moving the new filter from the old tank to the new tank, keep a close eye on the parameters of both tanks in case you get a mini-cycle or spike.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thank you so much. I'll leave the filter running on my 20 until the end of July then. I'll then move it to the 10 gallon and let it run for a couple of weeks before removing the HOB filters. Thank you again. Should I just let it run or should I add anything to quicken the cycle?
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    There are bacteria boosters that you can add, like Seachem stability just to name one of them. IDK how much that stuff actually helps, but a lot of people use them and swear by them. The effectiveness of these additives can be debated, but on the other hand they certainly won't hurt anything if you try them following the directions on the bottle

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, thank you so much for the help Cliff c:
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~