· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Gravel Color

1. Default Gravel Color

0 Not allowed!
    It's me again ! I was just looking at the PETSMART website, checking out their anniversary sale. I was reading the reveiws on some gravel, and one of them said that the black color faded after about 7 months. Is this common ?
    Since I'm leaning to this color, is there a brand that doesn't fade ? I want as dark as I can get. I want to cover the bottom with black gravel, but, I don't want it to be level. I want to make different sized mounds. Then I want to put in black sand to fill in the low spots, hopefully giving an appearance of rock piles for some of my decor. I'm thinking that the sand might make little avenues around the tank, for bottom-dwellers that prefer sand to gravel, and still have gravel for fish that want gravel. It looks good in my mind, but am I headed for disaster from the start ?

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to mix substrates, you're going to have to use containers or channels to prevent drifting/mixing. Maintenance, critters rooting around, all will end up mixing your substrates til you have an even mix throughout your tank, after a period of time...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to sheamurai. To keep your tank clean of fish poo you'll need to vacuum the gravel regularly with a siphon hose which is guaranteed to rearrange your mounds of gravel and channels of sand. You might want to consider using actual stones/rocks for your mounds then fill in around them with black sand or gravel.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    How about just getting the Florite black sand for the whole tank? It would look nice either planted or not.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/flourite...Fa5DMgodujIAzw