· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Cycling and hot days.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, first off... My cycle seems to have jump started. I only added the first dose of ammonia on Wednesday, and I"m already getting NO2. Though instead of going to 0, the ammonia went down to my tap baseline of .25ppm. Is this just me not being able to read the test? (I find the tests hard to read, actually. The colors never seem to match up to the color card.)

I had initially riased the ammonia to 1ppm, and now the Nitrite level looks like it's at 2ppm. Is this how it's supposed to go, or is something funky going on? And as far as NO3 goes... One color card looks like it's at ~15ppm, the other 40! That is waaaaay too variable for my comfort level.

Also, how do you keep your tanks from overheating on hot days? Currently it's in the low 90s in my house, and we aren't even in a heat wave. I'm trying to keep my tank from going over about 85 degrees, and just barely managing it with a combo of cold packs on the lid and a fan blowing over the lid. It's working in part because I'm home to swap out cold packs as they warm up, but I worry for when the heat waves hit and if I'm gone on those days. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 06-28-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, after it sat for a few more minutes, the ammonia test went to a clear 0ppm.

But despite my attempts to keep the tank cook, it still went up 86.7 degF. So I'm still trying to figure out what to do to keep the tanks from getting too hot.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    I understand that it is the 5 gallon in your signature?
    if it has a fish in it, well, bettas like it warm anyways...
    if it is cycling fishless, then the increased heat, if coupled with good aeration, might even speed up the cycle by increasing the metabolism of the bacteria.
    if you really want to lower the temperature for other reasons, turning off the lights, removing any covers to allow evaporation, increasing aeration, using cold packs will work.
    personally, I would just move the tank to a basement(if present) due to its small size.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    It's the 5 gallon in my sig, and it's fishless. And while normally warm=good, it's too much of a good thing in this case. I'm worried about exceeding the heat tolerances of the plants (especially the new stems, since I don't know what they are!). Plus, this allows me to experiment with cooling methods now, while it isn't as critical to keep the waters in a safe range for fish.

And while bettas may like it warm, I doubt they'd be happy if their water got up to 90 degF or more! And lights are needed for the plants, and I have cats that would take a lidless tank as an open invitation to make their own exploration and evaluation of what's inside (and it won't be safe once the fish is in, since bettas are jumpers). I'm also leery of too much evaporation. My water is already liquid rock, I don't want to make that worse by encouraging evaporation.

And there is no basement, almost no attic either. The one floor of the house is all I get. Heh.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Yeeesh... I filled up my QT and I'm not trying to do any temperature manipulation on it at all while it's cycling, just to see how it responds to the house temps...

It had risen to 86 degrees by the time I went to sleep last night, which was the temp of the room it's in (the kitchen, and I have one of those probe thermometers attached to a timer, and the probe's plugged in at the moment and gives me readings of the room temp). When I woke up this morning? The kitchen had dropped to 82 degrees, but the tank's temp had risen to 92! There's a mini heater in it, but the heater isn't even plugged in, only the (turned off, .5 watt LED) light and the filter are plugged in.

And over the course of the night, my 5 gal had only dropped to 84 degrees. I put a larger fan on next to it and turned that on before I left the house, so we'll see how that does... It had already started to drop the tank temp a bit before I left.

I think I'm not going to need to worry about my tanks getting too cold for bettas for a while...
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 06-29-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)