· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like your Russian roulette motto.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I pers0nally have been very f0rtunate in that I have n0t had any ich pr0blems (kn0ck 0n w00d), But I have read that turning up the heat sl0wly and adding either aquarium salt 0r eps0m salt t0 the water is effective as a treatment. I haven't seen what y0u have f0r a filter menti0ned, 0nly that y0u rem0ve it- s0 I'm assuming that it is a H0B type. I w0nder if there are alternative f0rms 0f media y0u c0uld run in y0ur filter in lieu 0f the carb0n cartridge t0 maintain y0ur cycle while treating f0r ich. I have never used an H0B s0 I am n0t familiar with the media available f0r them- but I w0uld imagine that y0u risk l0sing y0ur cycle if y0u keep messing with the filter.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    I've had to treat for ick once. I did the medication method with no results. Can't remember the medication I used. When I did the heat and salt methos it worked like a charm. Waited about 10 days after I saw the last of the parasite and did a large WC with thourough vacuum. Slowly reduced the heat and everything was good. I raised my temp to about 82F. I also had an airstone running for more oxygen.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like your style rodm81 Good Advice. Thanks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, I HAVE lost my cycle and that's a bummer. Anybody have any good recommendations. Just wait it out or add nutrifin cycle? Any ides to aid the process are appreciated. I have the filter I took out (didn't know what to do w it the package on the treatment didn't say), never rinsed it that is probably pretty bacteria ridden. Good or bad bacteria I don't know. Maybe put it in some water over night and test it in the morning... see where my nitrates nitrites and ph are at?

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    read up 0n fish in cycling ( I d0n't recall wh0, but 0ne 0f the pr0minent members has a link in their sig), If y0u have any friends with tanks maybe a seed sp0nge fr0m their tank placed in y0ur filter might help kick it up a bit quicker. Keep d0ing water changes t0 keep niTRATES and such l0wered t0 a t0lerable level. Test peri0dically t0 keep levels in check, but n0 need t0 test daily- it will take a little while with fish in.
    EDIT- It is in Cliffs sig, click 0n the red lettering "fish in cycling" 0r use this link- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Last edited by Longshot; 07-02-2013 at 08:28 AM.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, that was real helpful Longshot. I will cut my 30% daily water change after the ich to a 10% daily making sure not to clean the filters or gravel and test my water regularly for two months. WoW. Great post.

0 Not allowed!
    Are you using Kordon's Ich-Attack? If so, you don't need to remove the filter media at all as Ich-Attach will not harm beneficial bacteria.

Now, having said that, I do not believe Ich-Attack is as effective against Ich as the salt or heat method. I believe the heat method works the best, but be careful with goldfish as you need to raise the tank temperature temperature to 85 degrees.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Longshot's advice is right on if you have lost your cycle.
    Last edited by Taurus; 07-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Are you using Kordon's Ich-Attack? If so, you don't need to remove the filter media at all as Ich-Attach will not harm beneficial bacteria.

Now, having said that, I do not believe Ich-Attack is as effective against Ich as the salt or heat method. I believe the heat method works the best, but be careful with goldfish as you need to raise the tank temperature temperature to 85 degrees.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
    I agree, the herbal stuff did not work for me back when I used it. Too, with meds like quick cure (worked very well), I never had a problem losing the cycle. However, it's been a long time since I have treated ich with meds. I only use heat - 88 degrees for 2 weeks. All new fish get a heat treatment while in quarantine - I've administered it to about 50 species so far, including goldfish, dojos, denison barbs, and other cool water fish. The heat alone works. It takes about 2-3 days to see improvement, and after about 5 days it should be nearly all gone.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10