· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like your Russian roulette motto.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I pers0nally have been very f0rtunate in that I have n0t had any ich pr0blems (kn0ck 0n w00d), But I have read that turning up the heat sl0wly and adding either aquarium salt 0r eps0m salt t0 the water is effective as a treatment. I haven't seen what y0u have f0r a filter menti0ned, 0nly that y0u rem0ve it- s0 I'm assuming that it is a H0B type. I w0nder if there are alternative f0rms 0f media y0u c0uld run in y0ur filter in lieu 0f the carb0n cartridge t0 maintain y0ur cycle while treating f0r ich. I have never used an H0B s0 I am n0t familiar with the media available f0r them- but I w0uld imagine that y0u risk l0sing y0ur cycle if y0u keep messing with the filter.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    I've had to treat for ick once. I did the medication method with no results. Can't remember the medication I used. When I did the heat and salt methos it worked like a charm. Waited about 10 days after I saw the last of the parasite and did a large WC with thourough vacuum. Slowly reduced the heat and everything was good. I raised my temp to about 82F. I also had an airstone running for more oxygen.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like your style rodm81 Good Advice. Thanks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, I HAVE lost my cycle and that's a bummer. Anybody have any good recommendations. Just wait it out or add nutrifin cycle? Any ides to aid the process are appreciated. I have the filter I took out (didn't know what to do w it the package on the treatment didn't say), never rinsed it that is probably pretty bacteria ridden. Good or bad bacteria I don't know. Maybe put it in some water over night and test it in the morning... see where my nitrates nitrites and ph are at?

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    read up 0n fish in cycling ( I d0n't recall wh0, but 0ne 0f the pr0minent members has a link in their sig), If y0u have any friends with tanks maybe a seed sp0nge fr0m their tank placed in y0ur filter might help kick it up a bit quicker. Keep d0ing water changes t0 keep niTRATES and such l0wered t0 a t0lerable level. Test peri0dically t0 keep levels in check, but n0 need t0 test daily- it will take a little while with fish in.
    EDIT- It is in Cliffs sig, click 0n the red lettering "fish in cycling" 0r use this link- http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Last edited by Longshot; 07-02-2013 at 08:28 AM.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, that was real helpful Longshot. I will cut my 30% daily water change after the ich to a 10% daily making sure not to clean the filters or gravel and test my water regularly for two months. WoW. Great post.

0 Not allowed!
    Are you using Kordon's Ich-Attack? If so, you don't need to remove the filter media at all as Ich-Attach will not harm beneficial bacteria.

Now, having said that, I do not believe Ich-Attack is as effective against Ich as the salt or heat method. I believe the heat method works the best, but be careful with goldfish as you need to raise the tank temperature temperature to 85 degrees.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Longshot's advice is right on if you have lost your cycle.
    Last edited by Taurus; 07-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Are you using Kordon's Ich-Attack? If so, you don't need to remove the filter media at all as Ich-Attach will not harm beneficial bacteria.

Now, having said that, I do not believe Ich-Attack is as effective against Ich as the salt or heat method. I believe the heat method works the best, but be careful with goldfish as you need to raise the tank temperature temperature to 85 degrees.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
    I agree, the herbal stuff did not work for me back when I used it. Too, with meds like quick cure (worked very well), I never had a problem losing the cycle. However, it's been a long time since I have treated ich with meds. I only use heat - 88 degrees for 2 weeks. All new fish get a heat treatment while in quarantine - I've administered it to about 50 species so far, including goldfish, dojos, denison barbs, and other cool water fish. The heat alone works. It takes about 2-3 days to see improvement, and after about 5 days it should be nearly all gone.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L