· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How Long Does It Take For A Fish Being Treated For Ich To Stop Flashing?

0 Not allowed!
    My fancy Goldfish got ich about a week ago. He is a larger Goldfish of about 6" He was flashing prior to getting the ich bumps. I thought he was playing with himself on the mirrored side of the tank until the ich showed up. I have been treating the fish tank daily with herbal remedy and aquarium salt for 6 days. Water quality has improved and all of the fish seem happier, however Julius still flashes on occasion. How soon before he starts to lose the itch?

0 Not allowed!
    You treat until 7 days after you see the last signs of ich, so if you saw any white spots two days ago, wait a week from then.

What temp do you have the tank at?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank stays between 76 and 78 depending on time of day. I turn the Incandescent lights on if its too cool. He still has the spots. The treatment says use safely for up to ten days and it has been six. I read that at some point the spots rupture releasing the parasite larva into the tank where it can take up to four days for the cycle to begin again. So far they dont seem to have ruptured however. Julius is still itching and today is day six. I am worried that while the parasite is in the water once they rupture I will not be able to use the treatment due to the ten day cap. I can still use salt and do daily partial water changes to remove any parasites however.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder as well what to do once the treatment is done as far as my good bacteria goes. The treatment kills bacteria and recommends taking your carbon filter out during treatment. It did not specify how to store and put back in. I have it sitting in stagnant water and wonder if I ought to be changing the water every day or If I should let the filter dry.

5. Default How Long Does It Take For Flashing To STop

0 Not allowed!
    I am treating a fish with ich in my tank and he is still flashing 6 days in. He's not doing it as much but still doing it. Will he flash until it's completely gone?

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure one of the experts here will chime in and give you some good advice, but in the meantime here's a link on treating ich: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich.php
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert here, but I have had to treat ick before

IME, all the symptoms, including the flashing, will go away once the ick is gone. How are you treating the ick ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got an Herbal Remedy from petco that won't hurt my scaleless Dojo. maintaining .3 salinity. Changing 30% water daily. Adding 1/2 tsp of herbal remedy daily. I had to take out my filter so that my good bacteria does not die. It is currently sitting in stagnant water. Should I be changing the filter's water daily?

0 Not allowed!
    As you have two threads asking the same question, I have merged them together to avoid more confusion

I would not remove your filter as the resulting water parameter problems of toxins building up will make this a lot worse for your fish. You may not get rid of the ick in a unfiltered tank. Your O2 levels will also drop very quickly adding more potential problems to your current situation.

I would suggest either use a med that is safe for your bacteria or the salt & heat treatment. Complete a very very large water change (as close to 100% as you can), put the filter back on, and pick one of those two treatment options
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah it was giving me some problems so i went to replacing the filter at night before feeding, leaving in overnight, removing filter after daytime feeding, then treating the tank. There's a good eight hours after adding medicine w/o filter. Filter goes in for about 16 hours before I treat again. The fish do seem to feel better when I do it this way. Any advice on getting my good bacteria back up quickly once this ick thing is over?