· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Best way to get rid of snails?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while because, overall, things have been running smoothly. Story goes: I have two guppy tanks, my main tank, which contains 5 guppies that breed like crazy and my fry tank which is not yet cycled (those poor fry). I obtained my guppies and my plants from an established 55 gallon guppy tank which, unfortunately, is heavily stocked with snails as well. Despite my best efforts to scrape off the egg sacs, some got through and now the snails are breeding like crazy in both tanks. I actually didn't mind them at first, but they are so numerous they're becoming a huge eyesore.

I couldn't find an archived post on how to get rid of snails, so I thought I'd ask the best way to get rid of them without harming my fish. I've heard stories of using Copper, but I don't know what products are successful. The tanks currently only contain fish, plants, and snails (my last ghost shrimp committed suicide by jumping out of the tank :(... I found him on the floor of my kitchen and was very confused).

Here the specs for the tanks:

Main tank:
    Size - 10 gallons
    Filtration - Whisper PF10 Filter + 20-30 gallon rated sponge filter
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrite - 0ppm
    Nitrate - 5-10ppm
    Stock - 5 guppies
    Planted

Fry tank:
    Size - 5 gallons
    Filtration - Tetra whisper 3I + 10 gallon rated sponge filter
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrite - Oh god, you don't want to know
    Nitrate - High
    Stock - I can't count them, somewhere around 10-15 guppy fry, all less than a half-inch long. I had to sacrifice my last batch of 25 fry (from one female) to my friend's saltwater tank... Chromies f-ing LOVE them.
    Planted
    Also, I do daily 50% water changes on this tank and will do so until it's finished cycling. So far the guppy fry don't seem to be suffering for the lethal levels of nitrite they're dealing with.

0 Not allowed!
    Few options:

1. I know there are meds out there that contain copper - copper would kill them, but I don't know about the effects on the guppies, and have a ton of dead snails in the tank could cause major problems

2. Get a few assassin snails.. they breed very slowly (and people always will buy them) and they will eat the other snails

3. Try a plastic cup with a weight and a piece of lettuce over night for like a week straight. Take the cup out every morning, that should beat the numbers down some

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Few options:

1. I know there are meds out there that contain copper - copper would kill them, but I don't know about the effects on the guppies, and have a ton of dead snails in the tank could cause major problems

2. Get a few assassin snails.. they breed very slowly (and people always will buy them) and they will eat the other snails

3. Try a plastic cup with a weight and a piece of lettuce over night for like a week straight. Take the cup out every morning, that should beat the numbers down some
    ... I think I want assassin snails for the sole reason that they're called assassin snails. I don't know if my petco has them and I don't have any local fish store, is there a reputable place to order them online?

I think I might try the copper first so I don't have to end up killing the snails I buy. I can always siphon up the corpses (while laughing maniacally). I was under the impression that copper doesn't really affect vertebrates, but if that's not for sure, I don't know if I feel like using it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Put hand in tank.

Make fingers so they can pinch.

Place pinchy fingers upon offending snail.

Grip offending snail.

Remove finger with snail pinched between fingers from tank.

Smush offending snail, put in trash bin.

Dry hand.

Task Complete. And very green oriented as well.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels View Post
    Put hand in tank.

Make fingers so they can pinch.

Place pinchy fingers upon offending snail.

Grip offending snail.

Remove finger with snail pinched between fingers from tank.

Smush offending snail, put in trash bin.

Dry hand.

Task Complete. And very green oriented as well.
    Haha, I appreciate the advice, but I've been doing this in both tanks for several weeks and it hasn't worked. I actually discovered my guppies love eating the squished snails, but I did it several times a day for at least two weeks and it doesn't appear to have dampened their population much and it gets tiring. Plus, I have longer nails and it's really hard to me to grasp the snails in the tank and they're impossible to pick up once they're in the substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a link for aquabid - there are several sellers offering assassin snails:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...n.cgi?fwsnails

The alternativesares to post in the classifieds here and see if a member has extras they could send you or ask your LFS if they could order some for you.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Here is a link for aquabid - there are several sellers offering assassin snails:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...n.cgi?fwsnails

The alternativesares to post in the classifieds here and see if a member has extras they could send you or ask your LFS if they could order some for you.
    Ah, thanks for the advice! I'll try these places. I'm thinking I prefer snail eradication by vicious snails rather than chemicals :)

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    D0n't kn0w if this w0uld w0rk, but here is a link y0u might check 0ut:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4721
    It's f0r ICH and 0ther parasites, safe f0r fish but may help with the snail pr0blem.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    D0n't kn0w if this w0uld w0rk, but here is a link y0u might check 0ut:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4721
    It's f0r ICH and 0ther parasites, safe f0r fish but may help with the snail pr0blem.

Yeah, that was one of the products I was looking at. The only issue I had was that this and many other products are in concentrations to deal with parasites, not snails. I wasn't sure if these products would be strong enough to kill the snails and I didn't really want to fuss around with increasing dosages and whatnot...

I have decided to go with assassin snails. I found a cheap seller on Ebay with good reviews. [Here if anyone's interested](http://www.ebay.com/itm/190853822435...84.m1439.l2649), it looks like I bought the last, but he might restock. I figure I'll take the slow route, put one snail in each tank, and see how voracious they are.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    May y0ur new snails live up t0 their name. I can't blame y0u f0r n0t wanting t0 risk it. wasn't sure but I figured I w0uld put it 0ut there anyway. Best 0f luck t0 y0u, I h0pe it w0rks 0ut f0r the best.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!