· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to above questions - having too many fish in a tank will totally cause aggression because the fish have no where to get away from each other - plus, if the tank isn't cycled, you probably have a nice build up of toxins (like ammonia) in the tank which causes stress/aggression.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1 male 1 female

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the others. It sounds like you have a bit of an overstocking problem. In my experience with mollies they are typically peaceful, but when the environment is conducive to causing aggression the mollies are one of the first to turn. I used to have a terrible time with the pregnant mothers becoming very territorial, which seems out of character for most livebearers.

0 Not allowed!
    I had mollies once and found them to be pretty bossy, if I may use that word. Not a fish that I liked. I really love Platys. I am certain that in an 18 gallon they may be close enough to the others to cause problems. And 2 gouramis NEVER get along. I repeat NEVER. they may seem to at first, but that is only the calm before the storm.
    Allergic to all things furry.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guppymummy View Post
    I had mollies once and found them to be pretty bossy, if I may use that word. Not a fish that I liked. I really love Platys. I am certain that in an 18 gallon they may be close enough to the others to cause problems. And 2 gouramis NEVER get along. I repeat NEVER. they may seem to at first, but that is only the calm before the storm.
    Guppymummy, I would be interested to know what species of Gourami you were dealing with as the more common Dwarf Gourami and Blue Gourami tend to be really quite peaceful given the right amount of space and food. Although I do know like their cousins the infamous Betta they are capable of being quite territorial.

PS: Platies are awesome!

0 Not allowed!
    Aquila it is common knowledge that more than one gourami, dwarf or not do not usually get along. If you have had that happen, you are lucky or have a larger tank and lots of hiding spots!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guppymummy View Post
    Aquila it is common knowledge that more than one gourami, dwarf or not do not usually get along. If you have had that happen, you are lucky or have a larger tank and lots of hiding spots!
    Your common knowledge seems to be incorrect. The species of gourami matters quite a bit when dealing with aggressiveness. The larger species, which are fairly uncommon in a home aquarium, are very aggressive and meant to be kept in habitats of their own. While the more common blue gourami, chocolate gourami, and gold gourami have been kept in community aquariums with others of their kind successfully by both me and other aquarium enthusiasts for years. It really comes down to good tank design, water quality, and proper feeding. The implication that they are automatically aggressive or incapable of being kept together simply isn't true.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well to each his own, I have owned dwarfs and pearls and they did not work out for me.

I do not wish to belabour this point especially when the thread topic is about Mollies.

I have known many an aquarist who has encountered problems with multiple gouramis and so was just trying to be helpful.
    Last edited by guppymummy; 06-30-2013 at 08:05 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    i had a male sailfin molly that ripped up the fins on my goldfish and it almost died.