· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brackish water?

1. Question Brackish water?

0 Not allowed!
    I keep hearing Brackish waters but what is that. what kind of water is it and what fish need it?
    Cichlid Addict

Aquarium 1:
    29 Gal with 1 Tigar Oscar

Aquarium 2:
    10 Gal is the start of my Saltwarter tank.... Still in the process Cycling

Aquarium 3:
    75 gal tank Saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    it's slightly salt water or sumin like that...1.016sg????
    Mollies need em...
    some other fish need em...
    green spotted puffer...

Brackish water (less commonly brack water) is water that has more salinity than fresh water, but not as much as seawater. It may result from mixing of seawater with fresh water, as in estuaries, or it may occur in brackish fossil aquifers.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had mollies in fresh water and they did fine
    Cichlid Addict

Aquarium 1:

Aquarium 2:

Aquarium 3:
    75 gal tank Saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Well it's better for mollies to be in brackish...
    I've also seen mollies in a SW tank....

0 Not allowed!
    Brackish is anything over pure freshwater, which is 1.000. You need a refractometer to accurately measure the marine salt level in a brackish tank. If you hunt up my oddball primer, there's brackish levels for several of the species.

Dave

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xximanoobxx
    Well it's better for mollies to be in brackish...
    I've also seen mollies in a SW tank....
    Sorry noob that is not exactly right Mollies if maintained correctly in pure FW will do just fine. Mollies are actually a FW fish that can tolerate all levels of salinity, but by nature is pure FW.

The only Mollies that I keep any salt with are the fry becasue there are so many in the tanks and the Blacks because they are fungus magnets. The rest on my mollies are in pure FW. My salt levels are real low too like 1.003 or so.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGoldeneye
    ...what kind of water is it...?
    An example of a brackish environment in nature would be the area where a river flows into the ocean, an estuary. Not quite freshwater, not quite saltwater, and probably with salinity variations. A mangrove would be another example.

In an aquarium setting one would probably want to keep salinity levels 'relatively' stable so as not to eliminate corresponding beneficial bacteria colonies.

Regarding mollies, where are they found in the wild? That would explain if they're strictly FW fish or freshwater fish capable of living in a brackish environment, etc.
    Last edited by kaybee; 10-01-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have freshwater cichlids but i do have a little bit of salt in the tank for them
    Cichlid Addict

Aquarium 1:

Aquarium 2:

Aquarium 3:
    75 gal tank Saltwater

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Regarding mollies, where are they found in the wild? That would explain if they're strictly FW fish or freshwater fish capable of living in a brackish environment, etc.
    Mollies are found in all enviroments but by biology are FW. This has been a arguement gone over and over but when you actually look at the scientific side they are FW but can tolerate and survive all levels of salt. We had a ? about it on the last quiz.

Lord knows I had this discussion with another poster (ILMGB?) over this same subject and we agreed on all parts but the Black Molley. In my experience it is the only one that really does any better with a small amount of salt to help it. There are a lot of sites that say it is brackish but this is another aquarium myth that has been continued long after the correct information has became avaiable.

Just to let you know most fish farms breed and keep their mollies in FW it is when they reach the store that they first encounter salt, because of the before mentioned myth. Also most true Molley breeders breed in pure FW as I do. Like I said I have salt in my Blacks tank and my fry tank because it is overcrowed at the moment until I send some off to market all the rest are in pure FW.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I Think one must add that Brackish REQUIERS Ocean salt. Cichlid Aquarium salt (larger grains) does not make a "Brackish Tank". I feel BW is not hard to maintain, but somewhat hard to understand. It can be really simple. Easy to maintain for most BW fish.

Please remember BW fish are born in FW and migrate toward the oceans. That in turn brings on SW mixed with FW = BW. The SG in your tanks can flex because thats the "nature of the beast". Most BW fish can flex from .05 to
    .10. Some require higher SG depending in the breed, size, etc.

As Dave said," refractormeter" is the way to go...

Mollies? I would say NO, to a BW enviornment. IMO I think most say BW for mollies because they are subject to ick.

Salt and higher temps can combat ick in most cases.
    Those who matter don't judge me....those who judge me
    don't matter.