· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java Fern?

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Java Fern?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    See my tank in sig....I have 3 java ferns, some other type of fern, and a crypt of some type...the crypt has been in the tank the longest, and looks healthy and green, with slow growth/new sprouts every so often

The other fern...ehh, does not look great, but not brown or rotting or anything...it's held down with a rock/fishing line...it's the biggest plant of the tank, and the favorite hiding place of my RCS and 3-4 week old tetra fry

The java fern?...they look terrible...ragged looking, brown spots on them since the day I bought them, no growth that I can tell...I have them tied to small rocks with fishing line...rhizome and some of the roots above the gravel

You guys will probably ask about lighting, and I'll be of no help...LED's, but no idea of wattage or lumens or anything...they are the cheap LED's that came with the original tank kit hood, that I removed and added to a newer hood with LED's that I bought later

Any suggestions or comments on why the java fern are not doing well?...I bought them after asking here about some easy plants to grow, but I'm having no luck with them at all...I'm hesitant to use ferts of any kind for some reason...maybe because I don't like putting anything in the tank besides Prime...maybe because of the fry...I don't know

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

PS I'm not above getting rid of the plants and going artificial, but I prefer the all natural method
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    See my tank in sig....I have 3 java ferns, some other type of fern, and a crypt of some type...the crypt has been in the tank the longest, and looks healthy and green, with slow growth/new sprouts every so often

The other fern...ehh, does not look great, but not brown or rotting or anything...it's held down with a rock/fishing line...it's the biggest plant of the tank, and the favorite hiding place of my RCS and 3-4 week old tetra fry

The java fern?...they look terrible...ragged looking, brown spots on them since the day I bought them, no growth that I can tell...I have them tied to small rocks with fishing line...rhizome and some of the roots above the gravel

You guys will probably ask about lighting, and I'll be of no help...LED's, but no idea of wattage or lumens or anything...they are the cheap LED's that came with the original tank kit hood, that I removed and added to a newer hood with LED's that I bought later

Any suggestions or comments on why the java fern are not doing well?...I bought them after asking here about some easy plants to grow, but I'm having no luck with them at all...I'm hesitant to use ferts of any kind for some reason...maybe because I don't like putting anything in the tank besides Prime...maybe because of the fry...I don't know

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

PS I'm not above getting rid of the plants and going artificial, but I prefer the all natural method

java fern from my understanding / observation is very very slow growing. i had picked up a very poor looking java fern with hope to save it. it wound up being taken over by some black beard algae which i wanted out of my tank asap as shown here http://i.imgur.com/acptL0z.jpg . i did a bleach water mix to get it off wound up lossing just about every leaf on it after awhile. i noticed some fresh growth sprouting out and i broke the stem into a few leaves and i know have them attached to things around my tank and they are slowly slowly growing healthy. I have your standard t8 18" (if i remember correctly ) 15w hood. I have it running about ~8 hours a day or less. I use a small dose of Seachem - Flourish (liquid synthetic carbon ) every other day and a full dose with my PWC which is usually around 55-60 % of my tank. you can might be able to see them before and after in the videos in this post http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=112819. you should check out the Sticky threads in the plant forums. and maybe upgrade your lighting.

0 Not allowed!
    once the stuff settles (a few months without being moved etc) it will start to grow pretty quick

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks j.a.t., I will check out your video and the stickies

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    once the stuff settles (a few months without being moved etc) it will start to grow pretty quick
    Thanks Hardy, will let it be for now...not really wanting to spend any more $ for lighting for this tank, trying to save up for my 40 breeder

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by justanothertank View Post
    Thanks again

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks Hardy, will let it be for now...not really wanting to spend any more $ for lighting for this tank, trying to save up for my 40 breeder
    someone up here selling 4 breeders and supplies for $75 lol.

sucks i can't get to it

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Dang...what size breeders?