· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Honey Gourami sitting on bottom

0 Not allowed!
    On Tuesday morning I noticed one of my 2 Honey Gourami was sitting on the bottom, it moved around a bit and touched stuff with its feelers but not much else. Its now Thursday afternoon and its still the same, to be honest I checked on it Wednesday night and thought it was dead but its still going.

My tank parameters are good (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20), has been cycled for 6 months, and all other fish are 100% normal and fine.

The fish looks normal, its not de-coloured and doesnt have any damage to its body or fins, its just sitting around.

The only thing I can think of is its diet, my honey's only eat Algae, whenever I put fish food in they either ignore it or try some and spit it back out. The other Honey is doing fine though so I dont know.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is it upright, or laying on its side?

Try getting a net and gently lifting it off the bottom, then tipping it back into midwater. If it can't seem to keep itself from sinking or doesn't try, it may have swim bladder disease. If it swims back down on its own... Maybe it just likes doing that? Fish do weird things sometimes. I used to have a betta who would lay on his side now and then, then get up and be perfectly fine, and I know clown loaches regularly 'play dead'.

A 25% water change might be a decent idea. It can't hurt to lower the nitrates a bit.

Try getting some organic nori from a health food store, my gold gourami goes insane for it. It's seaweed that's sold in sheets for sushi and stuff, but many fish like it and it's a great suppliment for herbivores.
    Last edited by Fishkeeper; 06-27-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkeeper View Post
    Is it upright, or laying on its side?

Try getting a net and gently lifting it off the bottom, then tipping it back into midwater. If it can't seem to keep itself from sinking or doesn't try, it may have swim bladder disease. If it swims back down on its own... Maybe it just likes doing that? Fish do weird things sometimes. I used to have a betta who would lay on his side now and then, then get up and be perfectly fine, and I know clown loaches regularly 'play dead'.

A 25% water change might be a decent idea. It can't hurt to lower the nitrates a bit.

Try getting some organic nori from a health food store, my gold gourami goes insane for it. It's seaweed that's sold in sheets for sushi and stuff, but many fish like it and it's a great suppliment for herbivores.
    I tried to net him earlier but he was in an awkward position so I had to give up. Will try again tomorrow. He was swimming around normally before so im pretty certain something is wrong, he sometimes is upright, sometimes slightly on his side, he doesnt lay down on his side though.

My weekly water change is due tomorrow (Friday) anyway so i'll see if that improves his condition, if not should I look into swim bladder treatment?

And yeah I might try and get some of that Nori stuff as my Gourami will not eat any of the food I put in for my other fish.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I just saw it at the top of the tank, and it took a breath then sort of floated down to the bottom, so im guessing this is swim bladder related so im going to get some medication and hope he gets better.