· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Canister filter advice

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I have just got a new tank set up. The tank itself is 85cm high, 65cm long and 50cm wide (approx 270 litres). With the stand, the height to the top of the tank is around 180cm. i have a Fluval 305 currently filtering it, but that is woefully inadequate. I used to have a more traditional tank (120*48*48) which was longer rather than higher, but with space restrictions I couldn't keep that tank. I need to look at a new canister filter, that will circulate the water a lot better. Along with the height, I have another problem, the stand is the two door variety with a timber separator, so the filter needs to be narrow enough to fit through a gap 26cm wide. Putting the filter beside the tank is not an option, as the tank is built into a wall cavity. So far I have narrowed my choices down to the Fluval 406 and the Eheim 2217. Does anyone have any experience with a tall tank that can offer any advice, either on those two filters, or can throw any other filters into the mix?

cheers
    paul

0 Not allowed!
    One option would be to add a second 305 or similar sized filter if you can fit two under your stand. I like running two filters on larger tanks. That way you can alternate cleaning them to reduce the possibility of causing a mini cycle. Also placing them at opposite ends of the tank ensures better circulation in the tank.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    One option would be to add a second 305 or similar sized filter if you can fit two under your stand. I like running two filters on larger tanks. That way you can alternate cleaning them to reduce the possibility of causing a mini cycle. Also placing them at opposite ends of the tank ensures better circulation in the tank.
    agreed. I run 2 canisters on my tanks - outstanding results.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Which country is this? I know an italian manufacturer of quite narrow filters

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your responses. I had given the dual filters options some thought, there would be enough space under the stand, I would just need to move some of the cleaning/food supplies elsewhere. My only real concerns would be the additional power consumption (my power bills already are quite high), and double the noise with the additional filter.

talldutchie, I'm in Australia.

0 Not allowed!
    I know for me, as far as noise is concerned, running 2 canisters is twice as noisy as 1. However, 2 times a very small number is still a very small number, meaning the additional noise is indiscernible. It is easy to determine how much an additional filter will cost - you know how much power costs, you know how many hours for which it will run, and you can find out the power consumption of a filter.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 2217 and love it. Very quiet, and I believe quite efficient on power. I think heaters and lights suck more power than anything, thats where you should be worried about measures to reduce consumption. I also run two filters - a canister and an HOB, on my larger tanks.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A quick update, I ended up going for the 2217, and currently have the fluval running as well. So far so good. Thanks for all your responses.