· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Just some mildly interesting observations on fish food preference by the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I tried feeding my twig cat some nori recently. Somewhat to my surprise, a couple of the cories decided to sample it, and one of the julii cories really liked it. Oddly, the other one didn't seem to like it at all. Now, that one little julii was sending bits of it flying all over the place, and my pencilfish started eating the tiny bits. My gold gourami was also chowing down on the other side of it. Now, this didn't surprise me too much, I mean they're omnivores, but what did surprise me is when the bettas tried it! They're supposed to be carnivores. They didn't seem too terribly interested, but they definitely tried it. Then my goby had a go at a piece, and actually swallowed it instead of spitting it out. Even my pipefish had a go at one tiny bit! The only fish who wasn't interested was, ironically, the twig catfish. He was eating the slightly fuzzy side off a magnolia leaf.

I just fed my fish some Cyclop-eeze, intended for the pipefish. I was curious, and thawed enough for the whole tank, figuring it couldn't hurt to offer them something new. The pipefish started chowing down right away, and the pencilfish just went nuts for the stuff, as did the cories. The bettas also seemed to like it, but the twig cat and the goby ignored it. I'm guessing it was too small for them. The funny part was my gold gourami, who was swimming all over the place gobbling it up like he was in a game of Pac-Man!
    I tried offering it to my saltwater fish and got a similar response from my blue damsel, who would feed at least partly on plankton in the wild, but my sit-and-wait hunter, the waspfish, ignored it entirely.

Anyone else a bit surprised by their fish's food preferences, or just have random little food stories to share?
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Fish are opportunistic feeders, If it is recognizably food and not dangerous to get at [And nothing they prefer is around].. They are likely to check it out.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess that's why some fish don't go after prepared food... It's not that they don't like it, they just don't know it's food.

Actually, I remember I used to have a betta who refused to eat freeze-dried bloodworms, and I've had a few other fish decide that they don't like some specific kind of food. Like I remember I used to have a cory who refused to eat the cory food, but would go after the flake food quite happily.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas

0 Not allowed!

My bristlenose loves cauliflower and broccoli. My green neons, who turned out be largely vegetarian, also like the stuff but lack the mouth to grab bigger pieces of it. They've learned to hover downstream from the stuff and wait for the bristlenose to dig in. Bristlenose are messy eaters and the neons just snatch whatever they send flying.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's about what my pencilfish were doing when that cory was going nuts. They're pretty messy eaters as well, although it's mostly because of how exuberant they are.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    All 0f my fish eat whatever I put in f0r f00d, my Severum even nips at my fingers- I think he w0uld snap at lead if y0u put it in there, l0l. He really likes lettuce th0ugh. My sev and my smaller plec0 eat fr0m my hand, as d0es my an0st0mus. My Angelfish is just starting t0 get up en0ugh dander t0 eat fr0m my hand als0- but usually 0nly if it is dried krill. I try t0 feed sparingly t0 av0id waste build up and get my fish t0 eat fr0m my hand. In the wild f00d is m0re sparse than what I feed them, but I d0 n0t usually indulge them very 0ften- twice a m0nth I will put a tad extra fr0zen bl00dw0rm as a treat.
    I feed them flake 0n Tues, Thurs and Sat - fr0zen bl00dw0rm 0n M0n and Fri and a mix 0f Hikari micr0 pellet/dried krill Wed and Fri. The catfish get algae tabs evry 0ther day.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!