· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Dreaming of Dennison's Barbs

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a large planted tank with a school of Dennison's barb (roseline shark) at my LFS months ago, and have been dreaming of them ever since. My wife has given the OK for me to start a large tank at home.

I plan to take my own sweet time with this, so I have plenty of opportunity to do it right.

I'm thinking of 75 gallons, planted with something hardy like Anacharis & java fern.

My hands-on experience so far is with a planted 5-gallon betta tank. The tank itself is doing well, although Mooch, my betta, died at age 2 after a sudden collapse.

Thoughts/tips/warnings on Dennison's?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Petsmart sells them sometimes on a manager's special for 7.99 each.

0 Not allowed!
    Have 12 love 'em, Not fussy eaters or aggressive IME. They can be hard to find for that price though.. 2x that price is far more common and they easily go for more.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Petsmart sells farmed fish, which have only recently hit the market. Before that, and still today, they are wild caught. They are also endangered. Some places may be bringing in farmed fish and charging wild prices, so be aware. Personally, I won't buy more wilds now that I know that they are endangered. Too, I'd rather spend $9 on a farmed petsmart fish than $25 for a wild caught, which we don't even know is wild caught anymore anyway.

I don't think a 4 foot tank is large enough for a school of full grown fish.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suda Nim View Post

I'm thinking of 75 gallons, planted with something hardy like Anacharis & java fern.

My hands-on experience so far is with a planted 5-gallon betta tank. The tank itself is doing well, although Mooch, my betta, died at age 2 after a sudden collapse.

Thoughts/tips/warnings on Dennison's?
    Dennisions love flow! Volume is less important thant tank length. I'd try to get a 4ft wide at least and consider adding a flow pump. Get some wood and decorate with a few big pebbles and a scattering of small ones over sand for that riverbed effect. These guys are used to high levels of dissolved oxygen and struggle if the water gets to warm. I'd set a heater to 22C. They also need very clean water so don't skimp on the filtration. Given their DO needs this is one species where a pair of hob filters might actually be better than a canister.

You could consider adding a group of a smaller loach species to the bottom like maybe polka dot loaches.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, they do love current. But, HOBs cannot provide the linear water movement that they enjoy. A 2 canister setup does that very well. In my experience it provides them with plenty of oxygen. Circulation is very important, so if one were going to try to use HOB (poor circulation) then I agree that at least 2 ought to be used. But as I already mentioned, HOBs do not provide linear water movement, nor do they provide the superior filtration capabilities of canisters. Also, the denisons handle the summer heat in their unheated tank very well (they all handled their 2 weeks at 88 while in quarantine with flying colors). The tank is at least 80 for the summer. They do not bother other fish, though they can pick on their own kind which is typical of barbs. That's been my experience with them.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    You're right, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. What I was saying is that hobs could be used because they provide a lot of aeration but in combination with another device to create flow. You want flow and a lot of dissolved o2 especially if it gets warm.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't find HOBs provide more surface disruption than a canister spraybar, nor do they adequately circulate water - 2 keys to aeration. Nor do they provide the level of filtration you say they fish needs, with which I happen to agree.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that one. Hob's arent the most efficient filters on the market.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    manif0ld image.jpg
    I like the way this pers0n set up their tank t0 get the fl0w 0f a river f0r their cl0wn l0aches.
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/my-clown-loach-aquarium
    here is the entire article if y0u w0uld like t0 see m0re this tank.
    And as a DIYer I w0uld als0 drill the ends 0f the tank and run canister filter lines int0 it t0 add t0 the fl0w.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!