· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well as a compromise - I might have to go with strand board. Plywood seems to be hellishly expensive for the size I'm looking for but I can get a piece of strand board at the right size for around £15 from a chain company. I know of an independent joinery not far away I might call in first though.

This is all a bit tricky when you don't have a car! At least I'm fit from all the walking.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Are the feet on this stand at each of the corners ?

If they are, you might be able to get two 1 inch (or so) boards that run the length of the stand. One board running along the back supporting the two feet at the back corners, and one along the front supporting the front two feet. That might be easier and cheaper to find as well. A little easier to carry too !!!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas - fishmommie Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 For all your help. - metweezer 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I totally agree with Cliff. I did a lot of research on weight distribution. Without beefing it up, the floor in my mobile home would not have supported my 900 lb tank.

Laminate buckles when exposed to water. I would put some type of protection under the tank area to cover the laminate. The feet on your stand will probably mark or gouge the laminate with the 1000 -1100 lb tank weight. If you don't need to beef up your flooring, just put a solid wood square under each stand foot. Better safe now than sorry later.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 06-28-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    It has eight little feet I think. I've not build the cabinet yet.

Awards Showcase

Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas - fishmommie Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 For all your help. - metweezer 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    It has eight little feet I think. I've not build the cabinet yet.
    If you have 8 feet, I would go with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood a little larger than the stand footprint. Maybe put some kraft paper (heavy protective paper) or poster board between the floor and the plywood to keep the laminate clean. You can paint or stain/polyurethane the plywood or cover it with something waterproof. It will protect the laminate from any spills and the weight of the tank. Put some trim around the edges and it will look great. If you ever move the tank, the floor will still look good.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 06-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks gronlaura - I think that'd be a good idea. I'm not too worried about what it looks like as it won't really show, but painting it might be an idea to waterproof it.

I've quite a bit of work to do preparing for this, not to mention moving the current tank and re-setting it up. With all the plants it'll be a bit time consuming.

I've just opened the box to check for any damage (I'm always paranoid delivered tanks like this might have been knocked around) but the tank looks good, from the inside at least. Oh my god it's huge though. I could easily get in it with my snorkel. I'm a bit scared!

0 Not allowed!
    I was a little intimidated by my first big tank too..in the store or online they don't look all that big and the measurements are just a picture in your head. Then you get it home and it turns into a monster, it looks so much bigger in your house!

But you will absolutely LOVE it once its set up!!