· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 350 Litre Tank - Weight Distribution

0 Not allowed!
    I'm about to have a Juwel Rio 300 delivered (I bit the bullet and ordered it last night). It'll be located on laminate flooring on the ground floor. I've been thinking about the weight of this tank, and whether it will damage the flooring - given that most tank cabinets are not completely flat bottomed as they are on "feet". That's a lot of weight concentrated on a small area (350l=350kg?) isn't it? I'm concerned about the damage it could do.

I've been thinking about asking a joinery to cut a piece of wood to size so that I can put the wood between the floor and the cabinet.

Do most people do this with large tanks?

Does anyone have any advice as to the thickness and type of wood I should be looking at for this purpose?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    On the ground floor, and against the wall, I don't think anyone worries much about the weight of any standard size tank. The most I would do in an "iffy" old house would be to position the tank by a load bearing wall. Also, any of the stands I've seen at the lfs, have all been wooden with full bottoms, not on legs...your tank may be on legs but I personally wouldn't worry about the floor holding the weight. The only thing I might be concerned with, for a "legged" tank, would be marking the laminate, especially if there was a spill. I have laminate, which I hate, and with the few spills I have had, the seams have swelled a bit, causing a small ridge in the floor. So I would suggest waxing the floor, or some kind of sealant/coating, if anything... a water barrier, but not a full wood base....

I'll also freely state - I'm no engineer ;-)

Congrats on the new tank! Do I see a new tank thread in the future?
    Last edited by sheamurai; 06-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for this - the cabinet isn't "legged" - it just has little standing "feet" underneath, if you see what I mean. So all the weight on the floor will be at these points.

The tank wasn't meant to be delivered until next week but the LFS screwed up and delivered it today (I had to rush from work early!) Eek. I haven't moved the old one yet so it's stuck in a bit of the hall (we'll have to squeeze past it all weekend). Whoops. Empty, the tank weighs 78kg so that's + 350kg water + around 50kg cabinet + big external filter and various bottles of stuff. I'll be looking at 500kg on that flooring. Sheesh.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not to familiar wit UK building codes, but I do alway like to over build things a little. I would suggest the wood between the stand and the floor. If it's needed or not is debatable when placed next to a load barring wall, but why not remove all possibilities (regardless of how remote) so that is one less thing you might worry about.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yes indeed. Thanks Cliff. Tomorrow I'm going to find myself a piece of MDF cut to size.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest plywood over MDF. It will be a lot stronger and be able to withstand moisture a lot better as well. It does cost more tho.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, ok. Good tip. Thank you! Plywood it is.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...what's your opinion on "strand board"?

0 Not allowed!
    ...or "Conti Boards" - I'm finding these on a DIY Warehouse website I could collect from tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!
    I might be mistaken, but I believe "Conti Board" is a type of MDF with a finishing layer (like arborite if I spelled that correctly) applied to the outside of the MFD. A similar set-up as to some of the counter tops you can find here in North America.

Strand board is a lot stronger and more durable than MDF, but not as strong as plywood. It might work well, but I'm not too sure. The reason why I'm not too sure is that were I live in Canada, stand board is not a approved material for a sub-floor construction in homes as it is not strong enough.