· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Cycling Tank and Going Out of Town

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all, I posted about this in my journal but am hoping I'll get some more advice here. My 10g is fishless cycling, had first 0 ammonia reading this morning and 'trites and 'trAtes are HIGH, but tomorrow evening we're going camping and will be gone for 4 days. What should I do to keep the process going while I'm gone? Would hate to have to start over when we get back. Thanks guys!

0 Not allowed!
    you could add a bit of food (flake food) or something. It will cloud up the water a bit, but as it rots it gives off ammonia

4 days I think would be pushing a little, you could dose a bit of ammonia right before you walk out the door. I think i let my 10g tanks slide for a few days while cycling and they were ok

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Put the ammonia in just before you leave and hope for the best. You can't cycle a tank when you are gone, but four days isn't going to kill it. It will probably slow the cycle a bit though.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not to hijack or to one up... but I am in a similar situation and I could use advice as well. I lost the cycle on my 10g tank due to some bad filter cartridges (my bad, I've switched to filter pads and bio-max). Anyway, I am now re-cycling and I am at the stage where the Nitrites have now appeared at 1 ppm and Ammonia is still present at .50 ppm, but no Nitrates yet. In 23 days I am scheduled to go out of town for 8 days. I am doing daily 50% water changes and dosing with Prime, but if the cycle does not conclude in 23 days I will be forced to give the fish away and start over since I will not be able to do water changes if Nitrites are still up at that point. Any advice that can help would be appreciated by me too.

I am considering going to my LFS and asking them to give me some sponge juice. Will that help or will the bb die before they get home?
    Last edited by Sportsnerd; 06-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Well you could just bring the filter with you and a 5g bucket XD..... If you have access to electricity....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know how good it is, but I know people who just pop a raw prawn in and leave it to cycle the tank as it decomposes. Warning: apparently it stinks to high heaven.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kilyth View Post
    Don't know how good it is, but I know people who just pop a raw prawn in and leave it to cycle the tank as it decomposes. Warning: apparently it stinks to high heaven.
    Translation - Prawn = Shrimp

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Translation - Prawn = Shrimp
    Thanks, I forgot not everyone calls them prawns.

0 Not allowed!
    Flakes work and raw shimp (or a chunk of raw fish) will work. Both rot and produce ammonia but not worth the effort for 4 days. It would not have time to rot in that time sufficiently to do much. I agree with mommy to add more ammonia before you leave and deal with it on your return home.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys, we're back now and I added ammonia before I left and when I returned. Tested this morning and Nitrites and NitrAtes are still super high (like, off the Seachem's chart high). Hopefully all is still well. Ammonia is being filtered out as before I left.