· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    yea, only 1 store around me carries anything like that

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    Hi TaiLung105 and welcome to the forum! I was actually going to refer you to Slaphppy7's thread but see he gave you some great advice already as did so many others (but seriously, check out his thread)..he like me and many others with the help of the wonderful community here was able to take care of his/daughters fish while cycling. It's not easy but if you're willing and you seem to be, with tons of water changes it is possible.

I personally listened to the LFS and started a 45 gallon with fish. I am now an expert at water changes and I can test my water for ammonia with my eyes closed I've done it soooooo many times. The members here who give advice do so because they have real experience in the "been there done that" department and want only what is best for you and your fish.

Take your time to research the fish you are interested in, throw the ideas out here for some opinions/advice and do what ever it takes to for the fish you have now. Glad to have you here and looking forward to reading more about your experiences with fishkeeping!!
    Thank you JudiJetson, I appreciate the kind words...It was a long adventure I had with cycling and learning about fishkeeping, and it actually is still ongoing!...probably bored everyone here to tears with it, but if TaiLung105 is interested, my thread is here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111494

BTW, speaking of tetras, we have had X-Ray tetras in our 10 gallon for quite some time now, and they have been very easy to keep...my daughter likes them because they are "see through"...we even have 4 fry we weren't anticipating, who are growing and doing great!

Here's a link to X Ray tetras (Pristella): http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...47&pcatid=2747
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 06-28-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Also, regarding the shipping of fish, it is very delicate, but reputable individuals do it right (how do you think the LFS gets its fish :) ) it just cuts out the middle man and can actually be less stressful on the fish (only 2 tanks rather than 3 during the process)

A seller will bag, insulate, and ship the fish either over night or have it delivered in a day or two - thus higher shipping costs

The fish kinda go into a hibernation mode with being completely blacked out and produce less waste and kinda sleep for the trip, as long as they are acclimated well they are fine.

I was very nervous about online orders of fish too for a long time, but have had 2 flawless transactions (the seller actually shipped a few extra fish each time) and have lost no fish out of the 20 that I have gotten, i have lost more from local shops than ordering online, so don't let that deter you
    Hardy85 is correct, have no fear about ordering your fish through the mail from reputable dealers
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! I have been doing endless amounts of research and If I can get my hands on them I would like to do

Endlers, Ember tetras, and 1 dwarf gourami as a center piece fish. I've been using AQAdvisor and it has been most helpful.
    http://www.aqadvisor.com

0 Not allowed!
    I'd personally recommend that you pick either the endlers or ember tetras, not both. I think a larger group of 1 would look better

You could do some java ferns, a nice piece of driftwood, you could get both for like $20 on the high end. The fish would love these. And, if you do some moss, like christmas moss or another type you could do some shrimp in that set up

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That does sound great. Looking at the coloring of them both I think one or the other would be good. Both seem to be harsh on the eyes together.

I think that is a good idea. Thanks. =)

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend two of these filters - EDIT* I recommend them b/c the DG will not like a hard current that a HOB could cause

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...-filter-2.html

You will need to keep the tank bottle clean, but that isn't difficult

Then you could slightly overstock the tank.

My thought would be either
    15 Endlers (note they will breed - be ready to put fry on craiglist or something) - unless you do all male
    1 dwarf gourami
    Red Cherry Shrimp

Or

20 Ember Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami

Or

10 Ember Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    10 Pygmy Cory

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With my water being so hard (7.6) I'm almost afraid to do embers.

I was thinking of going with 1 Dwarf and some Endlers. I personally like the Dwarf and Endlers coloration.

My HOB doesn't have a strong current. It has a low and high setting on it. Its for a 20 gallon tank and does 100 Gallons an hour I believe.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is very clean at the moment. I've been keeping up on it like a hawk. Just did a 75% water change this morning. My water is starting to get that nice sweet smell to it.

0 Not allowed!
    ok, but if you notice the DG is getting blown around, you will need to make a flow baffle (not hard, just uses a clean plastic bottle and some tape)