· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Cycling new tank

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I got this new tank about ohhh 2 weeks ago. I read that typically you want to cycle with fish that you plan on keeping in the tank. Ok. Cool. I got a fancy goldfish. Found out that as pretty as they are they are a pain in the butt for beginner fish keepers. I'm convinced that they just need to be in a pond... Trying to keep that goldfish alive was like stapling jelly to a wall while giving birth to a shark.

Found out about Zebra Danios. Instantly fell in love with them. I had already begun to cycle my tank with the goldfish but not wanting to risk any problems I did about a 90% water change and let my water filter for 24 hours before I added the Zebras. I added three so that they wouldn't constantly be picking on the same fish all the time. One ended up dying now I have two.

Here is where my problem comes in, should I add another one or stick to the two until my cycle is nearly done? Right now one stays near the filter but not by choice. The bigger one will chase him away from the other side of the tank. I don't want the little guy to get stressed out by the bigger Z.

Thank you for your time and possible input.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh forgot to mention, Fancy goldfish didn't make it. No zebras in with goldfish.

0 Not allowed!
    How large is your tank? You are correct that goldfish belong in ponds - they can grow very large - danios also need long tanks because they are very active fish.

Do you own a test kit (liquid preferably) - the only way to cycle with fish is to keep track of your ammonia - it should not be allowed to go any higher than .25ppm
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a long 10 gallon tank with a hanging filter.

I do have a test kit though it is the test strip kind because at the moment I am tapped for money. Next week I'll be getting my paycheck. The ammonia levels have been staying at 0 since I've been doing frequent water changes. 10% daily and if I notice any stress I'll do 50%.

0 Not allowed!
    honestly you will have a lot of stress with only a 10g tank and zebras.

Some people claim that zebras need at least a 36" long tank to be happy - as you know they are always moving

I would keep doing the 10% water changes, but it will take a very long time to cycle the tank this way

EDIT** also, zebras need to be in schools of 6 or more, preferably 10+
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have that kind of room for a 36" long tank. I'm confined to a tiny bedroom. So far the Zebras have been doing fine. Despite some bullying but they do zoom all over the tank.

I knew the cycling would take a while. The fishless cycling seemed sort of redundant to me because every time you add a fish the tank will have to cycle. That's why I have done the fish cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest basing the size of you water change on your test results. for example, if you ammonia or nitrites get to 0.5ppm, you will need to do a 50% water change to lower it back down to the safer level of 0.25ppm. With only two fish in there, you may not have levels that high, but you should test just the same. There is a link below in my sig to a cycling with fish thread here that can provide you some more info if you would like.

I'm not too sure a 10 gallon would be OK for Zebra Danios long term as they are a very very active fish. Perhaps you could re-home them and complete a fishless cycle while you pick out different fish for your tank ?

If you fishless cycle correctly, you can add all of your stock at once with no worries
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaiLung105 View Post
    I don't have that kind of room for a 36" long tank. I'm confined to a tiny bedroom. So far the Zebras have been doing fine. Despite some bullying but they do zoom all over the tank.

I knew the cycling would take a while. The fishless cycling seemed sort of redundant to me because every time you add a fish the tank will have to cycle. That's why I have done the fish cycle.
    Actually it is the other way around, with the fishless cycle you don't need to worry about cycling everytime you add a fish, vs the with fish cycling you actually have a miny cycle everytime u add new fish
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaiLung105 View Post

Incorrect - fishless cycling permits you to add more fish at one time because all the bacteria you need is already grown in the filter - cycling involvesgrows bacteria using ammonia - either from a fish or from ammonia you add yourself. If you've done a fishless cycle, you only need to monitor your ammonia when you add a fish to make sure the current bacteria is "eating" the extra ammonia.

A 10gal tank is really too small for zebra danios. If you can return the danios & do a fishless cycle that would be the best - then restock with smaller, more appropriate fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Then what sort of fish would you recommend for a 10 gallon tank? Other than Bettas.