Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. Default Tetras and Danios in a 30 gallon tank together with a Barb species


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I'm looking into getting my first ever aquarium.
    I'm thinking of making a 30 gallon tank.

    I want to ad
    A few Celestial Pearl Danio
    A few Snakeskin Barbs
    A few Penguin Tetras
    A few True Rummynose Tetra

    I want to know if it's safe to put the Tetras and Danios with the Barb.
    Also, what do I need to do to put the Tetras and Barbs in a safe environment ? (how do I prepare the tank)

  2. #2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Please don't post the same question in two separate locations... very confusing and can slow down the help you would get

    First off, you will want to set up the tank, decide if you want planted or not... (live plants)

    Then do a fishless cycle (you should have 60g of filtration on the tank)

    As for fish stock, after you are done cycling look into 1 or two of those 4
    Example:
    10 CPD
    10 RNT
    6 Cory or 1 BN pleco

    or mix up the schooling fish. But I'd say rather than a "few" add like 10 of each of two types of those fish.

    Shouldn't be an issue with tetras with barbs

  3. #3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    +1 with above advice. Although many people like the look of many different types of fish in their tanks, tetras prefer larger groups to feel safe and they act differently when they have many buddies to swim with - for a 30gal tank I agree that 1 large or 2 medium size groups of fish would work - like 1 group of tetras and 1 group of corys, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Please don't post the same question in two separate locations... very confusing and can slow down the help you would get

    First off, you will want to set up the tank, decide if you want planted or not... (live plants)

    Then do a fishless cycle (you should have 60g of filtration on the tank)

    As for fish stock, after you are done cycling look into 1 or two of those 4
    Example:
    10 CPD
    10 RNT
    6 Cory or 1 BN pleco

    or mix up the schooling fish. But I'd say rather than a "few" add like 10 of each of two types of those fish.

    Shouldn't be an issue with tetras with barbs
    Alright, thanks.
    I won't multi-thread again (I thought it would help because of the 2 separate species)

    I was thinking of putting in one of those cool looking logs and put a small small plant at the sides.
    Btw, what do you mean with 60G of filtration ?

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Ok now this might sound REALLY amateurish but what if I add
    6 True rummynose tetras
    6 Penguin tetras
    4 Snakeskin Barbs

    I know that you said to only use 2 species but I'm wondering.
    Could I put 1 extra species if the amount is less ?

  6. #6

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    You could... but you wouldn't see the full effect of these fish.

    As for 60g of filtration, all filters say what size tank they are for (the manufacturer has them very under rated for stocked tanks), so you need two filters meant for a 30g tank. I'd recommend two aquaclear 30s

    Don't buy one of those logs, very over priced, make your own, buy plain driftwood (look for Malaysian piece) and take a jave fern or two (or anubius) and use small black thread to tie to the wood. It will cost half as much, and can have a few more plants on it.

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    You could... but you wouldn't see the full effect of these fish.

    As for 60g of filtration, all filters say what size tank they are for (the manufacturer has them very under rated for stocked tanks), so you need two filters meant for a 30g tank. I'd recommend two aquaclear 30s

    Don't buy one of those logs, very over priced, make your own, buy plain driftwood (look for Malaysian piece) and take a jave fern or two (or anubius) and use small black thread to tie to the wood. It will cost half as much, and can have a few more plants on it.
    I understand, thanks for the help.


    Now what about placement of the tank..
    I was hoping to put it on my desk.

    What can I do to reinforce my desk ?

  8. #8

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    a 30g on a standard desk is iffy. I'd say you would want some 2x4 under there to hold it. Might want to look into just building a 2x4 frame for the tank, but have it under the tank under the desk

  9. #9

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    a 30g on a standard desk is iffy. I'd say you would want some 2x4 under there to hold it. Might want to look into just building a 2x4 frame for the tank, but have it under the tank under the desk
    +1 with the above - the tank is going to be approx 383lbs full of water plus anything else you put in it - please see this thread:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5645 - it has a link showing tank weights
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  10. #10

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Jr. View Post
    Ok now this might sound REALLY amateurish but what if I add
    6 True rummynose tetras
    6 Penguin tetras
    4 Snakeskin Barbs

    I know that you said to only use 2 species but I'm wondering.
    Could I put 1 extra species if the amount is less ?
    I think you need to eliminate the Barbs from your stocking list and go with 10-12 rummys and 8 Penguins as these are schooling fish and will feel safer in larger numbers. Then you could add Cory Cats to occupy the lower portion of your tank.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

    "This ain't rocket science!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •